Thread: Experiences of Therapies: Our different experiences

Experiences of Therapies: Our different experiences

Purplepie started a post on therapies that people have used and their experiences of ...........

These were my answers:-

I have had many years of blips with time off for Depression, Anxiety and Stress. Recently I was diagnosed as Cyclythymic and then more recently with BiPolar type 2, basically depression with anxiety and mania .... this diagnosis now goes back to episodes in 1990.

Over the years I have tried many many therapies and interventions and can only state how much it helped or didnt help me, doesnt mean that it won't help others.

Counselling ( Listening style ) - Had this multiple times but have found that with the counsellor just listening really and guiding that it didnt provide me much in the way of outcomes

Person centric therapy ( p2p ) - Had this from July last year and I have found that the therapy is working pretty well, the challenges to fact and fantasy help me especially as I'm very hard on myself on a day 2 day basis

NLP ( neuro linguistic therapy ) - Had very limited benefits from this, it seems I'm just not very good at re-programming myself

CBT ( cognitive behaviour therapy ) - This has been better as I sort of get most of the suggested coping mechanisms and interventions interlectually but I cant always translate them into wins for me. I think its been good for me in understanding myself even if I cant work through to a good outcome

Mindfulness - I definitely find mindfulness helps with relaxation but I also find that it either helps or not much dependant on how much of a rut I'm currently stuck in

Self Help Books etc - This has been where I think sometimes we overload ourselves as we take on more and more information regards 1) our condition 2) therapies 3) self coaching that we get bogged down AND we also then blame ourselves for things not working out better. Its especially difficult when the self help books contradict each other.

dont know if that helps / makes sense ........

Tony

Re: Experiences of Therapies: Our different experiences

Is this a dialoguw worth having?
    Has anyone else had any overarching experiences of different therapies with Anxiety and Depression ?

Thread Information