Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Propranolol newbie

Wink Propranolol newbie

Hi, I have just joined this site as looking for advice from anyone who can reassure me and give me advice. I'm a married housewife, mum of two (age 15 & 4) in my 30's, normally quite confident/outgoing.
    I have never suffered anxiety before so this is quite a scary experience for me. It started last year when I developed quite a few health problems. I had fibroids, menorrhagia, anaemia, gall bladder problems and insomnia. I started suffering breathlessness which my GP put down to my anaemia, but I kept having dizzy spells too while cooking dinner, shopping, out and about etc. I stopped doing my usual things because of my heavy bleeding and dizziness, but kept telling myself it would get better once I had my surgery in December (laparoscopy, endometrial biopsy, novasure ablation and titanium clip sterilisation). Unfortunately I had an awful time after my op, had a bad reaction, was in agony when I woke up and was kept in for 2 days instead of a few hours. That made me feel terrible and took a lot longer to recover than expected, then myself & my husband both had deaths in the family over xmas and my brother was diagnosed with cancer. Since then imy breathlessness and dizziness has been twice as bad. It creeps up on me when I least expect it. I can be in a good mood, relaxed, watching TV etc and i'll suddenly feel my chest tighten, panic and feel like I need to scream! I've never hyperventilated or anything like that, but its so scary. I avoid going out unless I have to, which is really bothering me. I do all my shopping online now or get my husband or son to pick up bits from the shops. I've avoided going to the doctors about this but my husband made me go 2 days ago. I burst into tears as soon as I was sat in front of the doctor and explained everything. She's put me on 10mg Propranolol 3 times a day, and have to go back in two weeks for a review. She said they would start to work straight away but I don't feel any different. I've slept more the last two nights (normally only sleep 2/3 hours and slept 10 hours Weds, 7 hours last night) but i'm still feeling this random panic, especially when I have to go out. My youngest starts school this year, I have to be better for that, not to mention for her and my son in general. I feel like I can't even take her to the park etc like I used to 😟 she goes to nursery a couple of days a week and I manage to drive her there and pick her up ok, but can't wait to get out of there cause of the noise 😖 i don't feel depressed, run down or anything like that, but fear it could get to that if this carries on. I'm not going to stop the propranalol but does anyone think I need a higher dose? Or do I just need to give it more time? Typing this out now is making me feel all tense and shaky cause i'm thinking about it! 😣 I can have a phone consultation with my GP on Monday if need be but wanted advice before the weekend really. Part of me feels this is all to do with hormones and the changes my body has been through. That on top of our family deaths and my brother being unwell has made me a nervous wreck! I hate this feeling. I have a huge family and lots of people I can talk to, but they have never experienced this so don't really understand. My brother told me today not to do anything silly! I'm not suicidal, but now he's made me paranoid (anxious) that i'm going to lose my mind! Lol. I feel so bad for others who go through this and never thought it would happen to me. Sorry for the rant!

Re: Propranolol newbie

Hi,

It sounds to me like you've had loads of dramatic events all at once- hopefully when things calm down a bit you'll feel much better

Hi and welcome It's not up to us to say if you need a higher dose. Everyone who I know, myself included all started on 10mg of Propanolol to start off with. But if you have read the med safety sheet you will see that 10mg is a very low dose for anxiety. You have been through an awful lot just recently, so don't try to stress too much about if these are working or not. You need these 2 weeks to see if they do make a difference or not .... and if they don't, chances are you might get a higher dose OR Anti D's, which aren't always used to treat depression, they treat OCD and Anxiety too. Good luck with everything and I wish you a speedy recovery.

You won't lose your mind - it's all anxiety and it's not surprising given your recent stressful history..it sounds like panic attacks which will make you avoid stuff if you let it. The propranalol is a beta blocker just to take off the physical symptoms rather than mental. My advice would be to have a look on Youtube at panic attacks - my favourite guy is Reneau Peurifoy videos which explain what's happening. You may also want to find some meditation/relaxation techniques which can help you de-stress. A lot of people swear by Claire Weeks too...search in all the forums on here because there are so many positive things you can do. If you feel it's worse you must go back to your GP and ask for some therapy or advice on upping your meds - good luck

Thank you so much for your replies 😊 I think it's more frustration that my mind is playing tricks with me. Its such an overwhelming feeling when you have no control isn't it. I've watched so many relaxation/meditation/hypnotherapy videos on Youtube but not sure they help. I feel like I need to give myself a slap and shout calm down! Lol. Once i've been out and managed to do something I feel all pleased with myself but also releived that i'm home and in my safe place. It really is an eye opener as never thought I would go through anything like this, but thats life I suppose! And you're right, I have been through a lot. I've just always been one to shrug my shoulders and get on with it... I will continue to take the pills as advised by the doc and wait for my next appointment. I've seen many posts about people taking much higher doses than me and couldn't understand why mine was so low. I thought they'd be a quick fix and calm me down straight away as doc advised, but maybe I need a few more days for them to get in my system properly. I've been reading a lot on this group and although I wouldn't wish this feeling on anyone, it's good to know i'm not alone 😊

That's what I like about the site Kel - I think we can feel very isolated when anxiety bites us but knowing there are people who are experiencing stuff too is a huge comfort x

I read something on here which helped me a lot, what's going on in your head are thoughts, that's all they are, just thoughts. I am convinced I am going to get to get toothache, so I flick my tongue over my teeth all the time waiting for an ache or a pain .... my brain constantly tells me I am going to get toothache. I meditate, play the online games on this site and I take meds. It's been about 3 weeks since my flare up and I am just calming down now. It's horrible. I hate it. I can't believe it is happening to me, but it has. So yeah, you're not alone, there are loads of us all clinging on just trying to get through each day. You sound like you have a good supportive husband and a decent doctor. Propanolol is a good beta blocker, give it time and see how you feel.

I was embarrassed about it at first! (Too proud to admit it) Couldn't believe it was happening to me. Kept making excuses not to go out etc, but now i've opened up about it i've found my friends and family are supportive, but they still can't associate so glad I found this site. Some don't fully understand, but have offered help with my daughter etc so thats all good. At least if I turn up at their houses looking a sweaty anxious mess they won't wonder whats going on lol. I'm sat here having a cuppa at the moment feeling fine, strange how it just hits you isn't it. I sometimes have it as i'm drifting off to sleep which I find odd. I'll wake up with a jolt and feel like someones disturbed me. I'm too impatient though, expect to take a pill and feel normal again. I'll get there 😊

I agree the propranolol is a low dose. Maybe discuss with the gp. I was taking 3 to 4 tablets so 30 to 40 mg which helped. Maybe you need to be put on an antidepressant also if not already. Like others have said Claire weeks book is good on accepting the panic and trying not to run from it.

**UPDATE**

Hi all, well its been just over 2 weeks since I started the Propranolol and I can feel the difference. I still panic when I go out, but i'm almost always fine indoors (my safe place) considering I used to panic no matter where I was. However, I still have horrible dizzy spells when I stand too quickly, turn around too fast, or even lay down. Saw doc yesterday afternoon (was a trembling wreck by the time I got there) and she said it sounds like Vertigo, but because I suffer with a bit of deafness and Tinnitus in my right ear it could be a middle ear problem too! She told me to continue with the Proranolol 10mg 3 times a day, and prescribed me some Prochlorperazine 5mg pills for the Vertigo... Took my first one last night and oh my god I thought I was going to have a heart attack! I was calm and cool when I took it, excited even, thinking they would clear my head and make me feel how I used to feel. But no, within an hour I felt the worse panic i've ever felt, had a pain in my chest, was trembling/shaking, and felt so ill. My husband almost rang 111, but I waited it out and eventually calmed down. I was a bit worried about going to sleep so stayed up late, and glad I did because I watched a video on Youtube on the Epley Manoeuvre. Its basically a head dropping technique that helps any blockages in your ear tubes. I done it last night and this morning I woke up with a clearer head, and it feels a bit like popping in my right ear, so could be doing something. I haven't ventured out today though cause my daughters unwell, so i'm still a sceptical, but will see. I'm hoping I can get by on just the low dose Propranolol as I hate taking pills, but know that could just be wishful thinking ��
    Last edited by Kel123; 07-03-16 at 11:26.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information