Page 331 of 357 FirstFirst ... 231281321329330331332333341 ... LastLast
Results 3,301 to 3,310 of 3562

Thread: Top Trump: A Poem

Re: Top Trump: A Poem

Quote Originally Posted by Noivous View Post
    https://www.foxnews.com/us/tucker-ca...ein-make-money

Here's pretty good question above about Epstein by news gal Melissa Francis.

A little trivia btw - Melissa Francis was a child actress who had a talent for giving the most gut wrenching believable cry in Hollywood history. See: Little House on the Prairie.
    So, it not only happened on Obama's watch (the prosecution) we also have a Democrat involved in that? So, I take it they are also being called on to resign?

There is an interesting point Acosta raised about having enough to do something and try to stop future attacks and how less was known about all this in 2008. There is something in that, we have experienced the same with historical abuse cases. Back in my school days (eighties) teachers got away with sleeping with 15 year olds but now we put them in prison and on a sex offenders register. We have been confronted, due to some very courageous people, with the reality of child sexual abuse. It was the same as the past and rape of adult women, society eventually moved on and we now treat it with the seriousness it should have been.

You had a recent case in the sports coach who abused all those young girls who shamed the US gymnastic bodies, didn't you? Your country is learning how to deal with celebs who do it (see R Kelly for one) and now the rich & powerful, the latter being one we are still not confronting properly I expect. Like you are seeing, it takes them to be thrown under the bus more than it does those political people standing up to do the right thing. There is also the disingenuous nature of movements like MeToo who avoid some and tackle others.

If this is just about Epstein and Trump, you know it's nothing to do with justice. Epstein is connected to many, unless they all fall it's biased towards getting a certain type of result and another dirty act using victims of abuse to further a goal.

Quote Originally Posted by mezzaninedoor View Post
    Ive been thinking about populism a lot lately. As a centre left voter, thats where I feel most comfortable anyway I think I'm seeing populism on the right and the left and some of the behaviour is similar from both extremes.

It seems that populism on the left and the right breeds those who believe conspiracy theories. The rise of anti-semitism and islamaphobia in UK politics seems to follow the conspiracists that on the one side don't believe that you can have a multi ethnic society and on the other hand there might be a Jewish cadre running the world and that Israel is part of that. This all plays into peoples fears which for me is what drives populism. Fear.

If we look to Corbyns anti capitalist left we see a move from people who see that capitalism's cruelties as mainly from malign individuals and a move to seeing capitalism as a failing system that is letting all down. The view could be that this feeds anti-semitism but the subtler view is that Labour has moved to a left populism with simple fixes available. Not unlike the right populism where the simple solutions are greater security, smaller government and less taxation resulting in trickle down wealth. I'm not sure either of the populist approaches have ever really delivered for people except perhaps after the war when the welfare state and the NHS was bedded in.

I think my poltics is informed by feeling that there is an immoral minority on all sides. The immoral minority on the right causing perhaps the capitalist bank crises, poverty and inequality and the immoral minority on the left where the talk of for the many not the few focuses the mind on who is denying us our utopia and ending up in anti-semite territory with the stereotypical view of rich bankers. The left always seem at the extreme to believe that a utopia is possible but thats not something I've ever felt I can sign up to. I think/know that capitalism is the least worst way forward but I want to see social policies that stop it from being the rich getting richer and the poor getting poorer because I dont buy the tickle down shcitk.

The roots of both right and left populism are decades if not centuries deep and ingrained.

I think the middle in the UK has little representation in politics at the moment and that makes a lot of us politically homeless.
    It feels like to the left they are all distracted by this anti semiticism row and the right Brexit. Is this all that is going on in the UK? We need Brexit over (at least done) and a new Labour leader. The arguments will just spill over anyway, certainly Labour won't be changing for some time as it spends it's time infighting, but Brexit might shift towards the impacts.

I wonder just how many people really give a monkey's about anti semitism? It's pretty much all we hear about with Labour. Is the Labour party supposed to be pro Palestinian or pro Israel? I always thought it was about the working class. It feels like this is a metropolitan Labour issue. Do many in the LGBT+ care about it? How about the BAME communities? It's a bit issue for the Jewish community for certain but from all that has bene happening the last couple of years someone outside the UK must thing this is a Jewish party.

Get it sorted so we can move back onto austerity, food banks, homelessness, the NHS, etc. The vast majority of voters aren't members but aren't getting anything from these squabbling parties.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post

Get it sorted so we can move back onto austerity, food banks, homelessness, the NHS, etc. The vast majority of voters aren't members but aren't getting anything from these squabbling parties.
    Spot on.
    There is little for most of us apart from noise from all the Parties. Even the Lib Dems are overwhelmed by Brexit and unable to fixate on other policy areas. Greens much the same, their eco message watered down recently.

As for CTers, it depends what you mean doens't it? Some can be seen as a train of thought just as any philosopher of old was. Some are just mad e.g. flat earthers. Some just see themselves as "The Lone Gunmen" thinking only they know what is truly going on and their CTing can be very broad, one day it's government they next it's their local milkman.
    A common trick used by the fake media to discredit conspiracy researchers and truth seekers is to lump them together with the flat earthers. The flat earth stuff doesn't pose a threat to the establishment and is probably disinfo put out there by spooks. On the other hand, something like 9/11 truth has the potential to bring down the whole power structure.

The Epstein scandal is another powerful conspiracy with so many tentacles that you could spend the rest of your life connecting dots. The likes of Epstein and Trump are just extras in this story and we will never find out who the main actors are.

British tankers taken by Iran in retaliation for our taking of their's off Gibraltar. Worth noting we did that in line with EU sanctions. The EU are a bit quiet on backing us up here...

British tankers taken by Iran in retaliation for our taking of their's off Gibraltar. Worth noting we did that in line with EU sanctions. The EU are a bit quiet on backing us up here...
    Germany & France are demanding that the Tanker is released in the hope that the Iran deal can be kept alive.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article...?ref=bfnsplash

sorry if this is inflammatory, this underlines that Trump is racist, horrible horrible tweets

It also does seem to be that the far right in the USA disproportionately attacks female politicians, is there an undercurrent of mysogony in there as well

Hey Mezz - Help me understand what Trump said is racist?

Germany & France are demanding that the Tanker is released in the hope that the Iran deal can be kept alive.
    Good to see this. I feel the EU should be more vocal though as these are their sanctions we are enfouncing, which we were happy to push for as a member too.

So what do we think will happen when Trump & Boris have their first phonecall about the Tanker problem?

Trump: We can bomb them
    Boris: Im not going to jump in the water and splash them, maybe I will then it will make for a good photo?

Quote Originally Posted by Noivous View Post
    Hey Mezz - Help me understand what Trump said is racist?
    Start here. https://www.npr.org/2019/07/15/74182...-racist-tweets

Finish here:

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...mments/588067/

It's one thing to like Trump's policies. That's (kinda?) reasonable. But trying to pretend Trump isn't a racist scumbag is simply being an ostrich with your head in the sand. There is a lifetime of evidence.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jray23; 24-07-19 at 04:36.

Page 331 of 357 FirstFirst ... 231281321329330331332333341 ... LastLast

Thread Information