Page 333 of 357 FirstFirst ... 233283323331332333334335343 ... LastLast
Results 3,321 to 3,330 of 3562

Thread: Top Trump: A Poem

Re: Top Trump: A Poem

Quote Originally Posted by jray23 View Post
    Start here. https://www.npr.org/2019/07/15/74182...-racist-tweets

Finish here:

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...mments/588067/

It's one thing to like Trump's policies. That's (kinda?) reasonable. But trying to pretend Trump isn't a racist scumbag is simply being an ostrich with your head in the sand. There is a lifetime of evidence.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
    Yes, you can like many of his policies but his rhetoric is often racist.

This:-

https://themighty.com/2017/10/equate...s-problem/#_=_

POTUS blames mental illness not GUNS !!!
    blames videogames not GUNS !!!
    anything but GUNS !!!

To me the issue of guns with mental illness is purely one of easy access and damage caused. Yesterday a 17 year old threw a 6 year old out of the Tate window and I'm expecting to hear some form of mental health issue is in play. If he had access to guns like in the US then we could have seen something more like the US sees.

Whilst guns aren't a cause in mental health cases they allow a lot more damage to occur easily and in a short period of time than someone with a knife.

All the other issues about guns and crime are a different problem. I'm les sure where domestic terrorism sits as there can be a line between radicals and mental health issues and some may be pushed over it or encouraged.

The US should have a referendum! Then the corporations might spend their time, if removing guns wins, in a Brexity way telling us why it should be overturned for their profits

The media plays every issue as black and white here. So it plays it all as guns are 100% the problem or guns are 0% the problem. And it plays gun control law discussion as ban all guns vs no restrictions whatsoever on guns. And a sizable segment of people from both parties fall for it.

Whereas the sensible thing to do would be to form some basic regulations. Like licensing, standardized background checks, mental health exams, etc. It's ludicrous that it is harder to get a driver's license than it is to own a gun. But lawmakers aren't going to do anything sensible because compromise is a lost art in Washington.

And the most shocking of all... that old video games make kids violent trope is back! I thought that was quelled 20 years ago!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jray23 View Post

And the most shocking of all... that old video games make kids violent trope is back! I thought that was quelled 20 years ago!!!

Yes. That old Chestnut.
    All Countries have Videogamers.
    All Countries have Mental Health issues.
    etc. etc.
    However only the USA has mass shootings on a scale that the USA has.

Austria, Japan and other countries have seen Gun Controls bring down Suicide and Homicide rates hugely.

I think Australia have done the same as us in banning all guns and only licensing for recreational shooters and agricultural control. But then we never had the gun culture of the US so most of us never had them anyway. It's like banning fox hunting, the vast majority will never be affected by the ban so it's much easier with a huge majority of people who aren't into it.

Well...what has changed? We've had the right to self defense by firearm here for over 200 years but only in recent years have we had mass shootings. What has changed? Is it a coincidence that many of the young perpetrators of mass shootings have been heavily into ultraviolent video games? Many have been on psych drugs too. I ask that question in all sincerity. What has changed because gun ownership hasn't.

And for those who claim the President is racist back it up. Because the left has leveled the charge so often they've rendered it meaningless.

Also, tying gun ownership to mental health exams will be fraught with corruption and a way to back door the government people being the only one's to be armed. I'll take my chances with freedom thanks.

N.

Quote Originally Posted by Noivous View Post
    Well...what has changed? We've had the right to self defense by firearm here for over 200 years but only in recent years have we had mass shootings. What has changed? Is it a coincidence that many of the young perpetrators of mass shootings have been heavily into ultraviolent video games? Many have been on psych drugs too. I ask that question in all sincerity. What has changed because gun ownership hasn't.

And for those who claim the President is racist back it up. Because the left has leveled the charge so often they've rendered it meaningless.
    From a UK perspective telling someone to go home is a racist trope commonly used against black/Asian people. You may not be a racist in saying it but saying it to someone does make it a racist comment. Obviously it's not all black & white () as saying it in frustration to someone who moans on about hating the country could be said in a more "well, why don't you just leave us for your better country" way.

I don't take opposition parties seriously when they call for things like impeachment anyway, that's all about getting themselves in. In the case of the Democrats they might want to look at their anti Semitism issues? Call it all out or no of it, there's no point calling Trump out when you brush your own peoples' racism away Same over here with the Tories & Labour.

On the video games thing it used to be violent films. It's a bogeyman. The only people (not considering mental illness/disability issues) who would become violent to that extent are not likely to be law abiding types in the first place. Violence is glorified and I would say younger men might be more likely to act it out as kids did (who wasn't doing a Crane kick the day after Karate Kid was on TV? ) but it's a long leap from a few punches in bravado to armed robberies, gang violence and murders. Gang violence again has some peer pressure issues in there.

Has anyone ever looked at the trend? It is important because it's not gun ownership that is causing this, it's merely a way to do more damage more easily. Like I said, we have a case right now where a 6 year old boy was thrown out of a window and fell 5 floors by a 17 year old who it turns out should be supervised as he was in a secure housing of some sort. Before this we have had plenty of cases of knife/sword random attacks for the same reasons.

Something we may have to consider is changes in attitude. Could an element be that we used to lock everyone up who was mentally ill?

Quote Originally Posted by Noivous View Post
    Also, tying gun ownership to mental health exams will be fraught with corruption and a way to back door the government people being the only one's to be armed. I'll take my chances with freedom thanks.

N.
    How would it work anyway? Mental health issues can develop anytime. There would also be a rights issue in this because you would have to have a very clear line between those who could be a danger and anyone of us on here who could be restricted by having a label. That may push some away from getting care. Consider veterans and PTSD, they would be straight on a danger list.

So, there is a danger a government could be too remote or go too nanny on this.

But the original rights shouldn't be set in stone either.

Page 333 of 357 FirstFirst ... 233283323331332333334335343 ... LastLast

Thread Information