Thread: Resigning from job due to mental health, second thoughts?

Resigning from job due to mental health, second thoughts?

Hi all,

So I recently posted here about how my job was ruining my mental health and since then it has only got worse . I'm only 22 and feel like I am wasting time in my life when I should be enjoying myself.

I have found myself a new job, somewhere I have worked previously and I was comfortable and happy there.

My mental health issues have only started during the last year, and I've never really suffered in the past. I know it's down to my job but panic attacks, anxiety and depression are now starting to affect my life massively outside of work.

I handed in my notice beginning of this week, they accepted it and they already knew about my problems. They have said to me instead of handing in my notice they will support me and make adjustments in any way that they need to to make me comfortable and happy again, desk moves, reduced hours. I said no. They then went on to tell me that they feel I am making a bad decision. I currently work for a huge company lots of opportunities to move around and benefits etc and that moving to a small company will not help me because I am just going back into my comfort zone and not actually dealing with the issues that are there. However I feel I need to be comfortable to start to feel better.

Has anyone been through a similar situation or can give me any advise? I'm now beginning to doubt everything, am I making a bad decision?

Re: Resigning from job due to mental health, second thoughts?

I think you are right, you need to be in a place where you feel happy and comfortable to feel better, once you start feeling better you can move on again. Big companies are good for having opportunities but you can learn more in a smaller company where you do a bit of everything. Good Luck with it

I can definitely empathise with you on this one...You most definitely need to feel comfortable and able to cope. Personally I think being able to keep any kind of job when you are having anxiety is a huge positive and if that means getting back in your comfort zone then why not? I really struggle with this too as my well side is always ambitious and pushy whilst my anxious side wants stress free - personally I have found the stress free (as much as possible) is the way to go. Once you are feeling better in the future then you can push the boundaries a bit - I always cock this up - Get better, take waaaaaaay too much on, become ill again. You need to do what's right for your health at this time whichever option that may be

In most cases, a big company would have not even batted an eye and said "CYA!". The fact they were willing to work with you to make things more manageable speaks volumes not only for the company but for the value they see in you. The do have a valid point in what they said.

Definitely some food for thought.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    In most cases, a big company would have not even batted an eye and said "CYA!". The fact they were willing to work with you to make things more manageable speaks volumes not only for the company but for the value they see in you. The do have a valid point in what they said.

Definitely some food for thought.

Positive thoughts
    Thank you, I think that is true and I'm sure they do not want to lose me be because I always work the hardest I can, but the thing that has bothered me the most is that they offer me all of this now, but in the last year when they know I have been struggling massively they have not offered any support of any kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Daaanz View Post
    Thank you, I think that is true and I'm sure they do not want to lose me be because I always work the hardest I can, but the thing that has bothered me the most is that they offer me all of this now, but in the last year when they know I have been struggling massively they have not offered any support of any kind.
    Ultimately, you must do what's best for you. Good luck in all your future endeavors.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

when i first started getting serious mental health problems i made the mistake of resigning from a great but high-pressured job (overseas for the government). during my low periods (i am on benefits unable to work) i keep regretting leaving my job but i have to tell myself that i would not have been able to carry on performing to a satisfactory standard. sometime you have to address your problems and take the right decision, only you and time will tell if you have made the the right decision. good luck.

Just wanted to say thank you to you all for your responses. I've not felt anxious once since I handed my notice in and whilst at work I'm normally highly anxious nearly all day every day.
    Last edited by Daaanz; 15-03-16 at 20:10.

Im currently going through this issue. I worked at the same place for over 6 years but had to leave as the demands of the job for one person were getting ridiculous and I didnt want to trigger off my good old friend anxiety.

So I spent two to three months looking for as suitable a job as possible that wasnt too demanding/stressful. And....three months down the line in the new job my anxiety and panic attacks were triggered due to the excessive demands and lack of support within the job!! I perservered this for another two months which resulted in having to go on betablockers and doubling my SSRI dosage - which had horrible side effects

Luckily out of the blue I was approached about a similar job to my previous one and forced myself to the interview despite being overwhelmed with anxiety and depression as during my struggle with my new job my other half also decided she wanted us to separate! Life can definitely throw you some serious challenges!!!

Though I feel I have failed to some degree as I couldnt beat the anxiety created by the new job and I also feel failure as I had to take extra medication to try and manage my anxiety despite being on and off only 20mg of Citalopram for 12 years

When I reflect on my decision though I think I have made the right decision. Your health and quality of life
    should never come at the cost of any job. A job is a source of income and not the sole reason for us being on this planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Daaanz View Post
    That's all part of handling a resignation the right way, offering ways to keep somebody. The real proof is what they didn't do when you asked for help.

I was a manager at my last company and it was considered standard procedure to do this upon receiving someone's notice.

Thread Information