Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The good, the bad and...the worse?

The good, the bad and...the worse?

When I was younger, I always thought I was so clever because I knew the word ambivolence. Now I'm older, I actually know what it means , and tonight, I actually know how it feels.

At work today, a letter needed hand-delivering, and my boss (who would normally have taken it) was catching a train down to London, so asked me if I would go. Now, as you know by now, a lot of my anxiety centres around travelling beyond my "safety zone". The place to deliver the letter to was only 7 miles away, but I've never been there, and didn't know the route, so I instantly started feeling quite up-tight. To cut a long story short though, I printed out my maps, enrolled my sister as navigator, went and came back in one piece, without having any PAs! We even called in at a pretty little semi-ruined church on the way home, to have a look around - I was so proud!

Then this evening, my parents decided to take us out for a meal, as my sis is off back to university in Wales tomorrow for her second year. To cut a similarly long story short - I let myself be driven to two restaurants (the first was full), in my dad's car when I usually insist on driving myself (it's not my dad's driving, it's just a control thing), I ordered a full-size meal, when I'll usually only choose a snack "to be on the safe side" [Duh!], waited for it without bolting for home or the bathroom, ate it, and enjoyed it. Again, this was all with a little anxiety, but without so much as a baby PA - doubly proud! [8D]

"So where does the ambivolence come in?" I hear you cry. As I said, my sister is going back to uni in Carmarthen tomorrow, and my parents are taking her. We are literally the whole width (minus about 80miles) of the country from Carmarthen. It's a 5+ hour trip, and not doable in one day, so my parents will be staying overnight and returning for sunday evening, which means I'll be on my own for most of the weekend, and have to spend a night in the house alone. Obviously, I'm anxious about the long drive, the safety of it all for my family etc. but I'm also selfishly anxious for myself - I don't like being in the house alone at night: I just don't feel safe. Every creak or noise is magnified, and I find that I have to keep all the lights on around the house, and lock myself in like Fort Knox.

I'm so proud of myself for my double "accomplishment" today, that I don't want this weekend to spoil it. I'm telling myself that I've done this before (when they went to fetch my sister at the start of summer), and that I am going to be fine, but that little fluttery feeling is still there. My grandma lives literally up the street, and my aunt and her partner are visiting her on Sunday, so I will have family close-by, but I don't want to burden them, when they don't really know the extent of my problems :(

If there are any good vibes going spare this weekend, I could do with a few sending in the Lincolnshire direction [8)]

~* Do what you want. Nobody else will do it for you *~

Hey

Try to see the time alone as a fun time. Eat what you what, play music, watch TV etc. See it as fun rather than a chore

You did so well done today so great news on that and well done you!!

It will be a challenge for you and if you do it then you can prove that you are ok alone and can be alone without problems.

Good luck - we are here if you need us

Nicola

Hi Leah

Well done for you two great achievements in one day, you should be well proud of yourself. So dont let been on your own over the weekend dampen your mood and lead you to worry and get anxious over it.

Just see it as some you time, where you can do as you please as Nic says.

Do something you enjoy doing and get yourself totally relaxed before the evening comes in, why no get a good movie to watch and some treats.

We all at times get nervous on our own and every noise becomes louder than it actually is, but our imaginations can get a bit over the top.

And remember you can come on here and into the chat room if you are feeling lonely.

Love Sal xxxxx

hi there Leah,

Well done on all your achievements!! If you have managed all that, then you will be able to stay by yourself for the weekend. Like you say, you have done it before and there is no reason why you can't do it again!! Try to just use the time to relax and unwind and have some time for yourself - do things that you enjoy doing...maybe have a 'girly' weekend with tv, takeaways and hours on the phone lol

Good luck and let us know how you get on!!

Sarah

Well done on the achievments. You did great!

As for staying in the house alone, I second all that was said before. Also, I still have a phobia about the dark. I mean, I can sleep without a light on now etc, but it still has the capacity to freak me out. So when my other half is away I usually leave at least one light on, and if it's really bad I leave the radio next to my bed playing. I can usually sleep through the noise and it's a comforting sound if I wake up.

Hope this helps, and that you manage to have at some relaxation this weekend.

How is it going Leah ?

We're thinking of you ..

Meg

hi there Leah,

How are you coping with your weekend alone? Let us know how it is going. Take care.

Sarah

Hi Leah,

Hope all goes well. I know exactly how you feel as I hate it when my hubby does night shifts occassionally. Im left with my cat for protection! LOL All the noises and creaks are definately louder!

I normally go on the computer or get a real girly video out have a relaxing bath and just chill. You will be suprised how quick the time goes!

Take care

Love PIP'S XX

Hi everyone,

Thank-you for the words of encouragement I'm doing ok at the moment. They've only been gone about an hour, but I made myself go out to do some shopping to take me through those initial butterflies (I bought a winter wooly and a courgette, of all things to combine together lol!).

I'm feeling a little anxious now I'm home, and I'm not having to concentrate on the driving etc., and I'll be a bit happier when they've actually arrived at where they're going, but I think I'm going to catch up on a few things on the PC, then go watch Charlies Angels 2 - I've never seen it before, so it should take some concentration

I've also got a good book that I'm getting near the end of. It's a medieval 'whodunnit' (one of the Owen Archer mysteries by Candace Robb if anyone is interested), and its's getting close to the climax, so that should keep me occupied for a time. Reading has always been one of my PA "remedies", and luckily we have something of a library in our house, so I'm sure I'll be able to find something else, if I finish the one I'm reading now

Oh, and of course there's always the Davis Cup tennis (big British tennis fan!), as well as my Rescue Remedy, Kalms, lavender bubble bath and "feel relaxed" Body Shop massage gel if I get really stuck

Thanks again for all the thoughts - I'll check in again later!

Leah xx

~* Do what you want. Nobody else will do it for you *~

Sounds like you're coping well. Keep going!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information