Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pain around liver, really scared.

Pain around liver, really scared.

Posted a couple of times here in recent weeks and guess my stress is building up again as I have an ultrasound appt this Thursday and my pain is pretty bad today. Has anyone had this horrible dull ache that goes around the right side of the abdomen and into the back?

To give a bit of background. I have been a classic "weekend drinker" probably for around 20 years. Over the past 2-3 years I have started to get this ache around the liver area. Around 2 and a half years ago I started experiencing this pain, and had blood tests, a CT and an MRI. They said my organs were fine but they did see I had a cyst in my abdomen and a bruised stomach muscle. No treatment was needed at that time. Anyway the pain is still there, and seemed to be worse after a glass of wine, so I have cut out alcohol completely. The pain is still there. Anyway I'm basically assuming the worst as usual and diagnosing myself with cancer or cirrhosis. I got my blood results back 2 weeks ago which said everything was fine, apart from low iron and vitamin d levels.

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this or had any thoughts.

Re: Pain around liver, really scared.

I am suffering right now. A dull excruciating pain in my right abdomen just below the right rib that radiates to the back. I also have this hiccups and kind of sore throat sensation. I am guessing that this is Reflux flaring up again but damn it, this dull ache won't let me sleep, I am really in pain. :(

I take it you've been diagnosed with reflux before?

I'm just assuming that because pain is in this area I must have some sort of damage to my liver.

Anyone?

Yes, I've had pain around my liver area (just under my ribs, sometimes down the midline of stomach) for about 18 months now. It comes and goes. Some days I'll feel it, then I can go a week or more without it.

I am considered a heavy drinker (trying to change!!) and went for an ultrasound - they found I had fatty liver, which isn't an entirely uncommon issue.

The pain I get ranges from stinging to crampy.

I've had it a long time and nothing has progressed. Yes I need to change my habits a lot, but what I'm saying is this is entirely possible and doesn't have to be the worst thing you think it might be.

I'm reaching the conclusion that it's more likely IBS, gas or GERD. You're doing the right thing in getting it checked, but nobody here can diagnose you. Just try to relax and wait for the doctor to check you out.

---------- Post added at 09:18 ---------- Previous post was at 09:16 ----------

Also - how's your posture? I squash that area up against a desk all day, then when I'm relaxing I have a tendency to lean to the right, and at night sleep on my side where the pillows force a curve of the spine and squash my abdomen a little.

Do that for 20 years and your body might just be telling you to sit up straight, stop slouching and do some stretching!

I know I have to wait for the scan to see what it says. Just seem to be ticking a lot of boxes for liver problems. Do you know if the person doing the ultrasound would be able to give any indication when I go on Thursday?

They're not supposed to, no.

You're assuming too much. Cirrhosis takes a long time to develop. You would likely have seen warning signs on your last MRI / CT scans 2 years ago.

Liver cancer is rare, and doesn't present with pain initially. You would have a lot of other issues right now if that's what it is.

I know. Will just need to bide my time and see what ultrasound cones back with. Thanks for taking the time to respond. Appreciate it.

Have you had a scan on your gallbladder and kidneys recently? Could be gallstones or kidney stones. I had pain in the same area and it turned out it was kidney stones xx

I go for an abdominal ultrasound on Thursday sammie, so I'm taking it that will be checked then. When I had an MRI a couple of years ago it found an abdominal cyst. But I believe most cysts don't cause pain.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information