Thread: massive panic attack

massive panic attack

Hi everyone! I've suffer from gad. I have been slowly weaning myself off 20 mg diazepam for the last year. I dropped from 6mg to 5.5mg three weeks ago and I've started to feel rotten. I had the worst "panic attack" that I've had for months today.
    I lost the feeling in my arms and legs, I had an extreme feeling of dread and panic. I couldn't stop shaking, I wasn't able to think clearly, I felt really sick and I just felt awful. In fact I'm having difficulty writing this.
    I took 10 mg of diazepam because I really thought I was going to hospital again. It took hours for me to calm down and I still don't feel right.
    I forgot to mention that I also tapered my escatalopram from 10 mg to 9 mg 3 months ago by diluting a 10 mg tablet in 20 ml of water
    and then taking 2ml of the solution out with a syringe.
    I got it into my head that I haven't been taking the escitalopram properly using the above method and so foolishly I increased my escatalopram dose back up to 10 mg so I could concentrate on getting off the diazepam without having to concentrate on measuring doses of escatalopram every day.
    Does anyone know a good way to titrate escitalopram correctly?
    Sorry for the long confusing message.

Re: massive panic attack

I am wondering if you are tapering off your medication under the guidance of a doctor? I was on escitalopram a while back (20mg daily) and had to come off of it quite fast because I found out I was pregnant, I dropped 5 mg a week until I was off it, but my doc advised me to do it this way and it was a nightmare. I think it is a good idea to focus on one or the other first.

Re: massive panic attack

No, I'm not tapering under my doctors guidance. I feared that he would try and make me drop to suddenly. I'd rather taper at my own pace. If I dropped by 5mg I think I would be suicidal.
    Thanks for your reply

Thread Information