Thread: What does general anesthesia feel like?

What does general anesthesia feel like?

I get my wisdom teeth out in a few days time and I need GA because they're impacted. I've never had GA before and have a major fear of fainting and I'm panicking that it's gonna feel like I'm very consciously passing out or actively fighting the darkness once the stuff goes in. They don't wanna give me a pre-med because they think the woozy feeling will freak me out too, so they're just gonna do it all in one shot.

For people with anxiety and who have gone through it, what did it feel like? Is it like falling asleep? The thought of being there then not there frightens me since my worst fear is fainting. Advice, help appreciated!
    Do it afraid. All fear is but the notion that God's love ends. "When anxiety was great within me, your consolation brought me joy." Psalm 94:19

Re: What does general anesthesia feel like?

It takes effect really quickly. They usually get you to count down from 10 and I don't think I have ever made it past 7. It is not a bad feeling at all in fact it is quite the opposite in my opinion. Just gently fading into a nice sleep

Thanks Annie

You're right, it happens so fast. I didn't get a countdown, I just breathed into a mask and my next memory is being woken up. The first thing they put in the IV (they called it a "gin and tonic") calmed me down. I had a root canal once that lasted 3 hours and after awhile that bright light and having tools in your mouth and people standing over you started to make me feel delirious. Being asleep was so much better. The only bad side was waking up with a sore throat from the breathing tube. I'm so glad they insert that after you're asleep!
    Do it afraid. All fear is but the notion that God's love ends. "When anxiety was great within me, your consolation brought me joy." Psalm 94:19

I am pleased you are over it now

i had anesthesia on my spine during an operation. Really i didn't even realize him giving me an injection and when it went into effect. It sudden and quick. you won't realize anything

Thread Information