Thread: Can anyone else relate to these weird swallowing/tummy sensations?

Can anyone else relate to these weird swallowing/tummy sensations?

Hi guys, I'm pretty new here, so I think I should start off by saying that I've have had GAD and panic attacks as far back as I can remember (pre-school!) but in high school I got really good at managing everything up until now (i'm 24). My mom just passed away in November and I was doing well up until around late January/early February, and it's been crazy since then - severe anxiety and panic attacks every day, I nearly lost my job from leaving and being out so much. This is also the first time in my life I've been on anxiety meds, right now just Xanax 0.25 as needed, until I see my new therapist on Saturday at least. Anyway...

I'm doing a lot better in general, but my biggest problem now is eating. I do have mild indigestion and I'm being treated for oral thrush courtesy of a round of antibiotics, so that just makes everything feel worse. I got very sick about a week ago and needed fluids and antibiotics in the ER and haven't been able to eat more than a couple bites or (if I'm lucky) a salad or half a sandwich here and there since then. Now, when I try to eat, it feels like my stomach is "heavy" or like whatever I just ate is sitting right in the middle, just under my breast bone. I also have that terrible lump in throat feeling and an intense fear of choking or food blocking my esophagus. I feel like I'm suffocating and my chest gets heavier and heavier the more I eat and I start to feel weak and tingly in my hands, sometimes I get dizzy. I think it sends me into panic attack territory because I need a full 0.25 Xanax to calm down, and normally just half of one will give me relief if I'm having a hard day. And then after I'm afraid to eat anymore. :(

Can anyone else relate to these feelings? I'm so scared that it's something more medically serious that anxiety triggering indigestion triggering more anxiety. My primary doctor doesn't seem too concerned that my indigestion is very advanced since it's hereditary and stress triggered and not diet related, but my blood work hasn't come back yet and he hasn't scheduled me for an endoscopy due to my current infection.

UGH. Enough babbling, thank you so much to anyone who can offer me some input!

Re: Can anyone else relate to these weird swallowing/tummy sensations?

Hey,

Best wishes to you man. I feel very sad about the passing and wish the best for you. I am 26. I recently just started having panic attacks, I take about .5mg of Xanax when needed. I can relate to the lump in your throat feeling. I've had it for about 2 months almost. It also feels like my breathing is off or that I am not getting enough air. I also get what feels like a tingle in my left hand. I also get dizzy here and there, not major dizzy.

I've had an endoscopy, it just revealed that I had mild gastritis. I've read a few forums where people will have gastritis and a feeling of a lump in the throat. Biopsys taken showed that everything was fine. They didn't see any blockage. Just make sure they sedate the hell out of you! You will be fine either way. I'm going to see an ENT next to see if the ENT can find anything.

I've also had a pulmonary test for my lungs that came back normal. Every time they check my pulse/air I always have 99% air.

I think we both are going through some ruff times. Anxiety is a bitch From what I understand, your stomach, gastrointestinal system is very sensitive to stress and anxiety. It can be challenging for me to calm down, I don't know if you are the same. However, continuing to stress and letting anxiety take the best of you will just cause more damage.

If I'm really stressed,I'll eat some dark chocolate that seems to help.
    Last edited by p282; 27-02-16 at 20:13.

Thread Information