Thread: Are these normal Citalopram side effects?

Are these normal Citalopram side effects?

I've just recently started back on Citalopram 20mg for a second time in recent years, I've only been on 20mg for 8 days or so, 10mg 4 days before that.

It does seem to be helping with anxiety/panic and depression issues already, if that's possible, but I'm suffering with pretty severe side effects that I've not previously experienced.

I'm having difficulty sleeping, only get about 3-4 hours a night and then can't get back to sleep, nor can I sleep during the day. When I do sleep, I'm in and out of sleep rapidly, with feelings of panic.

I also feel extremely exhausted, mild pressure and buzzing in my head, heavy/tired eyes, dizziness and a general feeling of lethargy. I also have almost no appetite, but I've been forcing myself to eat.

This is wreaking havoc on my anxiety, because I'm worried it's not the pills and that something else might be wrong with me, even though it didn't really start until I started taking the Citalopram.

Any advice?

Re: Are these normal Citalopram side effects?

Hi, everything you are describing are side effects, I felt exactly the same. And a good sign that they are side effects is that you didn't have them before you started. You are still very early as 8 days isn't long. You need to just go with it and sleep when you can. They will pass. X

I could've written this post myself!

I'm day 19 today on 10mg & having exactly the same sleep pattern. I've arranged a telephone consultation with my GP today to ask for some Zopiclone for sleep because I really think that lack of sleep are responsible for the increased anxiety & tired eyes, headache, feelings of exhaustion & dizziness. It makes perfect sense that we would feel this way if we're getting by on only a few hours of broken sleep a night - we're exhausted! X

Stick with it, they'll probably pass in the next 5-10 days, you're doing great

Thanks for all of the replies.
    I'm trying to stick it out, but it sucks feeling so out of it and disconnected. Went to see Deadpool at the movie with some friends and the girlfriend and I could barely concentrate with my vision blurring and such. Not fun. :P

Also, is it possible that Citalopram will help with the insomnia that I was struggling with BEFORE I started taking it? I think the initial insomnia was caused by high anxiety.

Thread Information