Thread: Constipation on 20mg

Constipation on 20mg

Hello people. I have been on 20mg of citalopram for the past three weeks and so far the side effects haven't been too bad and I've been feeling much better. However, recently I think the medication is causing me to be constipated. It's not like I can't go, it takes forever and it hurts. I was just wondering if this is common among others and if there's anything I should do to help it & will it stop LOL. I am drinking more water & eating better and hoping that helps. I am also wondering if it's just my body adjusting since I haven't been anxious and I have IBS especially when I am anxious. I find my anxiety definitely interferes with my bathroom patterns and it's usually pretty loose if you know what I mean... Thanks!

Re: Constipation on 20mg

I am on escitalopram and have always struggled with constipation on it ... my doctor told me to take miralax, as it's gentle and softens stool. Also a few things that have helped keep things "moving" - drinking water, getting fiber in my diet, and exercise has helped a lot too.

If it's taking a long time to come & hurts when you pass it then I would say you need a stool softener. I'm not sure what country you're in but things like Laxido/Movicol taken regularly should help. But I would check with a pharmacist first if you have IBS as laxatives work in different ways xxx

Just a question may be a bit odd but will a stool softener make me go forever? Not really wanting to spend my life on a toilet hahaha

Lol fair question and miralax doesn't, not sure if it's called the same thing where you live. It just makes it easier to go.

---------- Post added at 14:20 ---------- Previous post was at 14:18 ----------

The scientific name is polyethaline glycol (spelled wrong probably)

You have to consume a lot of water so that you may have enough fluid in your body and in the Digestive track. Go for natural ways as much as possible. You can take an herbal supplement also that is very good in relieving constipation problem. The herbal supplement I am most trusted of is the Digestic by Mimonis which shows its effectiveness when it help me overcome my one long year battle of constipation. Since then, I am totally relieved.

I have been drinking a lot more water now and it's really helping

Thread Information