Thread: New Book By Ruby Wax - A Mindfulness Guide for the Frazzled

New Book By Ruby Wax - A Mindfulness Guide for the Frazzled

Hi all,

I was in Tesco earlier today and noticed they have a new book from Ruby Wax in their new releases. It's another Mindfulness one and it looks good.

I know some people on here have read her Sane New World book and enjoyed it so thought it was worth mentioned this one. It seems to have come out in January.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mindfulness-...words=ruby+wax

I had a scan through it and it looks a good book. It's not heavy, it's a light-hearted read and it includes a 6 week course although it doesn't include the meditation work that is prominent in the 8 week courses by people such as professor Mark Williams with his MBCT courses.

What I thought was very useful was how the exercise chapter went beyond normal movements and into weightlifting, bodyweight exercise, fetching & carrying, etc. This could be a very useful chapter for us all to learn how to expand our practice into areas we were unsure of.

She also makes the usual excellent points I've seen Mark Williams make about how failure isn't really failure, it's an expected part of learning these processes. She also stresses how you can't practice this all the time because it would take you forever to leave the house and I think some people may benefit from knowing this because I've seen it before in some people starting out and even in people using Dr Claire Weekes techniques - it's supposed to be inserted into our lives, not take them over.

If anyone has a copy, or is buying it, perhaps add a post to let people know what you think. I might buy a copy myself, the current new hardback price puts me off a bit but it might be worth it to add some new elements.

All the best.

Terry

Re: New Book By Ruby Wax - A Mindfulness Guide for the Frazzled

I read an extract of this book in a magazine a couple of months ago, it sounded good.

I also like Ruby Wax. She says it like it is and with the added humour makes it lighter to read as you said Terry. It's on my list to get this book.

I had a quick read and it had her usual humour in it. I used to like her on TV years ago.

I remember reading a bit about her parents and how she has battled mental health issues because of them. She seems to have found what works for her and has taken it on to help others.

I should have a lot in common with her then.

I was looking at this book on Amazon. Might give it a go. Love Ruby Wax!!

I've just read this. It's good! It's informative with a good dose of Ruby wit which had me laughing out loud.

It also made me realise just how much my mind isn't in the present...

sounds like a great read. I like Ruby Wax a lot. Some of the documentary stuff she's been involved in has been really insightful

Thread Information