Thread: Serotonin syndrome?

Serotonin syndrome?

I was prescribed 50mg of Sertraline/Zoloft and I've taken my first dose today. So far so good... I feel quite calm and serene and it's definitely taken the edge off. But something that concerns me a little bit is that I've sort of felt a bit manic at the same time... not hyperactive but I've had the jitters a little bit and I've had points where I've been in an overwhelmingly good mood. This is after the first DAY!

I'm worried because of something called 'serotonin syndrome' which I Googled *facepalm*. I know this usually occurs when you combine more than one anti-depressant, but I'm a bit worried because the symptoms point to mania. I don't think I'm supposed to feel this 'happy' after just one tablet, and the dose isn't even that high (50mg).

Can anyone shed some light on this? I'm feeling quite terrified at the moment. :(

Re: Serotonin syndrome?

It takes several weeks for therapeutic benefits to be felt/take effect. You're obviously hyper-sensitive due to the added anxiety of taking the med. You're not on any other med as you said so this is most likely a psychological reaction to taking the med for the first time.

And good going for taking a step to healing. That would account for a good mood and positive mindset

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Serotonin Syndrome doesn't have to be severe, it can be mild too. So, beware what you read.

BUT in the psychiatric section of Side Effects on Drugs.com it also lists the following amongst the other categories:

Common (1% to 10%): Abnormal thinking, affect/emotional lability, agitation, anxiety, bruxism, depersonalization, depression, nervousness, nightmare, mania, paroniria

So, mania is a Common aside effect of the med alone. Good mood could be connected to this side effect. The med itself won't be anything for a while in terms of helping your disorder.

I felt quite manic on and off when I first started my meds, my thought would literally race and I felt a bit out of control like I wanted to run around waving my arms about. But it was just a side effect of the tablets and did go away.

Thread Information