Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Seeing psychiatrist

Seeing psychiatrist

The past 2 days, I've begun to feel strongly against leaving my flat - actually wanting to hide in my bed - the anxiety gets me there, but I get moments of calm. I've now got to go across London on the tube to see my psychiatrist. I'm feeling so bad that I feel I have 2 options 1) Go across London to see her 2) End the pain for good.

I can't see myself recovering this time round. The experts are saying I should be seeing signs of recovery. Instead I'm consimed by this massive restlessness and discomfort.

I don't intend to take option 2, so I'm, hopefully, going to plough through on option 1.

Re: Seeing psychiatrist

Prepare for the journey, make yourself as comfortable as possible, listen to something on earphones maybe. I'm sure you'll feel glad you accomplished the journey once you're back.

Wantpeace 1
    Anxious/depressive thoughts 0

Has the drug pregabalin ever been suggested to you?

Hi

Thx guys. I'm back. I managed to get there and back. Hell on earth though. I think delaying lunch until I got back didn't help.

I've seen 2 people on pregabalin and after seeing their reaction to it, I wouldn't go near it. Everyone's different I suppose. So far, its never been suggested to me.

Psychiatrist thinks this increased anxiety is just a short term side effect of getting on the SSRI, and will diminish. She's told me to stick it out.

In the meantime, she's prescribed Atarax as a temporary sedative to beat the torture I'm in. Anyone heard of, or used Atarax?

Paul

Good you made it and the pysch is probably correct and starting an SSRI certainly can ramp anxiety up, certainly did with me.
    Never heard of Atarax
    What were the folk on pregabalin like? I heard it was supposed be some sort of miracle drug for anxiety

---------- Post added at 17:21 ---------- Previous post was at 17:18 ----------

had a wee look at Artarax, it's an anti hyistamine, should help you reduce anxiety, might make you wee bit drowsy though.

Before xmas I was in a psychiatric hospital for 3 weeks. One guy I was in group therapy with was on pregabalin. I've never seen a more anxious person in my life. Maybe it was partly his personality that made him seem more anxious than he was. Another woman on my ward started pregabalin about 2 weeks in. She said she just felt really sick and tired on it. She looked more of a state too.

Remember, everyone's different though. I just remember swearing to myself at the time, I'm not going to go anywhere near that stuff. Anyhow, I'm hooked on benzos, so that's probably worse!

Yes I've had it. It hit me like a sledgehammer. I'd treat it with caution but having said this I react very strongly to psych meds.

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    Yes I've had it. It hit me like a sledgehammer. I'd treat it with caution but having said this I react very strongly to psych meds.
    pregabalin or the Atarax?

I had atarax today. It's taken the edge off the escitalapram induced anxiety. Bit knocked out, but that's preferable than being rediculously on edge.

Quote Originally Posted by wantpeace View Post
    Before xmas I was in a psychiatric hospital for 3 weeks. One guy I was in group therapy with was on pregabalin. I've never seen a more anxious person in my life. Maybe it was partly his personality that made him seem more anxious than he was. Another woman on my ward started pregabalin about 2 weeks in. She said she just felt really sick and tired on it. She looked more of a state too.

Remember, everyone's different though. I just remember swearing to myself at the time, I'm not going to go anywhere near that stuff. Anyhow, I'm hooked on benzos, so that's probably worse!
    The thing is, can you find a single drug that hasn't done that to somebody? I know a guy on here who was admitted due to starting Sertraline, I've seen similar discussions about Citalopram and Mirtazapine too.

Like you said on another thread:

Quote Originally Posted by wantpeace View Post
    It's a good point about seeing more horror stories than success stories. It's most likely due to people only seeking help and sharing their bad experiences when they're at their worst. When someone has recovered, they're less likely to come on to a site like this and share their experience.

I've recovered from this kind of illness before, so I know it's possible and likely that I will again. This time I'll be much more hesitant in coming off the meds that make me feel well.
    We never really know peoples issues and how much of that is the real reason for their anxiety as opposed to the med.

So, I wouldn't rule out Pregabalin on that basis. Aside from those 2 and pulisa's experience, there are 2 guys on here who say it has helped them greatly. So, like always with meds, it's individual and a minefield!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information