Thread: Restless Legs Syndrome/Periodic Limb Movement Disorder

Restless Legs Syndrome/Periodic Limb Movement Disorder

Does anyone have these conditions as well as their anxiety? I recently recorded my sleep after struggling so with worsening tiredness over the years to the point where i can't function anymore. I found out i toss and turn in my sleep and move my legs a hell of a lot.

I've been started on a Parkinson's medication which is a low dose and if supposed to cut down the movements. However I've also read any antidepressants can make the issue worse. So I'm struggling to see how i can control the anxiety and this? Does anyone else have this problem and have you had any relief from the tiredness?

Re: Restless Legs Syndrome/Periodic Limb Movement Disorder

I have restless legs and neuropathy from treatment. I take Gabapentin and it helps although I'm still plagued with symptoms at times. I've been on it for three years. Some initial tiredness and dizziness but no side effects now.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Thanks Fishmanpa,

The GP has let me do my own research and the best thing i can find is the Neupro patches which are used in Parkinson's and RLS. Really don't want to be using it but i need deep sleep. I'm barely functioning. Funnily enough, i get RLS badly during the day, not so much at night. But as soon as i go to sleep, I've recorded myself twitching my foot every 30 seconds and constantly moving. I don't know anyone with PLMD, let alone anyone my age (25 and male). I took 20mg of temazepam just to try and get some kip last night. Got 5 hours but i still feel as sleep deprived as i always do

Interesting... For me, due to side effects from treatment, it hits me at night when I'm trying to relax and get to sleep. I have pain, RLS and twitching during the day but the distraction of life minimizes it. I believe that's normal. Distraction is a key to minimizing symptoms.

Has your GP diagnosed the cause of your issues?

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Whilst I'm all in favour of patients doing their own research I also think a GP should be deciding on treatment or at least offering options, not walking away to let the patient do what is essentially part of their job. Did they offer any treatments?

Unfortunately not. I said to the GP that I've started seeing flashes of lights and other weird things due to a 72 hour period where i didn't sleep. She just laughed and said it happens to all of us when we don't sleep. I begged her for a sleep study or anything to be done as I've obviously got some kind of sleep disorder, with evidence being my video footage. She told me to take the medication and hope it works and that she wouldn't be referring me.

I managed to get 8 hours of sleep due to a Zopiclone tablet but have woken up absolutely exhausted which is what I've experienced every day for 3 years. I'm struggling so much with lack of quality sleep and have been very close numerous times taking myself to A&E as I'm struggling to function. I'm worried they will label it with my mental health conditions even though i know it's not.

Sleep deprivation is by far the worst thing I've ever experienced. Worse than the depression and anxiety i have. And knowing that sleep won't make me feel any better is making me feel very hopeless. I find myself just breaking down crying for no reason pretty much everyday and still nothing is being done. I'm scared :s

Edit: the medication hasn't worked. Apparently it should take 2-3 days to stop the movement in my sleep. It's done nothing

Perhaps the dose isn't high enough if it should start working quickly? Or perhaps a different med for the same issue?

Zopiclone can help but the issue could be that all this does is get you off to sleep, you won't sleep longer than your body needs and it can leave you very drowsy the next day. So, is the Zopiclone doing much other than this? Does it make you sleep deeper? How about videoing yourself on a night you take it to see if it cuts down on the movements?

Also, could you video yourself to see if this new med is cutting the movements down? Perhaps it is but not enough but at least if you can see it starting to work, it might be encouraging that an increase could further help?

Hi Ssmith.

My partner suffers with restless leg syndrome which is caused by his anxiety.
    It comes on when he is relaxing, normally when watching TV and also at night in bed.
    As you can imagine it affects my sleep too.
    My partner has had this ever since I have known him; (18 years) and he also has a thing where he scratches his head and picks at his skin on his hands and feet.
    I feel you need to treat the root and not the symptom.
    He takes Citalopram and we both got in to the habit of going for a walk in the evening, which helped it a lot.

Thread Information