Thread: Why is my brain convinced I have bulbar onset ALS?

Why is my brain convinced I have bulbar onset ALS?

I'm driving myself nuts. It's all I've been able to think about since I mentally determined I don't have it in my arms and legs. (No clinical weakness in limbs.) But sometimes I trip over my tongue when I'm talking, or I mispronounce a word or just skip over a consonant sound altogether. More often now that I'm anxious all the time. I'm not having trouble swallowing. My voice hasn't changed. I do have a mild chest cold, so I've been coughing and had a post-nasal drip for the past two weeks.

I keep saying tongue twisters: red leather yellow leather, you need to know New York is unique, etc. I'm not having any problems with them. I can lick my lips back and forth quickly. It's just when I'm talking casually, I'll trip over my tongue a few times a day. And apparently that's enough to freak me the heck out.

I have a history of health anxiety, so it's not like I don't know that's almost certainly what it is. I'm 28 and female with no family history of ALS or other motor neuron diseases. I just can't seem to get any relief from my worry, and I feel like going to a neurologist would be a waste of my money and her/his time.

Re: Why is my brain convinced I have bulbar onset ALS?

Quote Originally Posted by littlelibertine View Post
    I have a history of health anxiety
    There's your answer. Getting professional help to address the thought patterns that keep you trapped in a HA spiral over this fear would be a way to approach and treat it.
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post

There's your answer. Getting professional help to address the thought patterns that keep you trapped in a HA spiral over this fear would be a way to approach and treat it.
    Oh man, do I ever know it. But I'm in the US and can't afford counseling at the moment in spite of having health insurance. I do take Zoloft and Klonopin for my anxiety.

I guess I just want someone to tell me that tripping over your tongue is normal, and that it's especially normal when you have a cold or anxiety or whatever, and that I'm fine. It just seems like I can't address the health anxiety until I'm sure I'm actually healthy. I know that's probably backwards. :/

Reassurance seeking is hallmark HA behavior and I have the feeling you know that as well as you know that tripping over your tongue is normal too. Will several people saying it happens to them on a forum really quell the fear for good? I think you know the answer there too

There are several good on-line CBT courses that could help. CBT4PANIC which was on here for a while is good. I personally used it along with one on one therapy for some depression and "scanxiety" and it proved and still proves helpful in every day stressful situations.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Thread Information