Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lyrica Pregabalin Long term?

Thumbs up Lyrica Pregabalin Long term?

Hi, new to forum, Greetings all.

I have been on Pregabalin now for 4 weeks and am generally having great benefits from it.

At the mo I am on 150mG twice a day.

I do notice the half life effects after about 6 or 7 hours so may try 3 times a day to overcome this.

I come from a history of long term anx/depression and have taken chlormipramine to some benefit but cannot tolerate SSRI's etc.

Has anyone here been on it long term? When I say long term... i mean many months or years.

Do you get any tolerance effects etc..

I have read a lot re. weight gain so am prepared for this.

Will be pleased to hear of any experiences from long term prescription.
    Last edited by Promethian; 04-03-16 at 14:59.

Re: Lyrica Pregabalin Long term?

Hi Promethian,

Welcome to NMP. You will find friends here, and I hope sharing your experience and reading that of others is beneficial for you.

I have been taking pregabalin since 2010, and it has had a very positive effect on my GAD. My dose has been stable (though at the maximum level) throughout that time, and I haven't noticed any tolerance building up.

Also, I've managed to lose around 11 kilos in that time (though I'd like to go down a few more!).

Good luck with the dosing. The half-life effect seems to be most apparent when starting up or changing a dose, so you my be able to go back to twice daily dosing after a while.

Hanshan, is your doc happy to keep you on the pregabalin for the foreseeable?

Hi Shiznit,

I think my doc is happy to keep doling out my current mix of meds - it also includes meds for high blood pressure and occasional heart arrhythmia.

I am a bit of a special case, however, as I am living in Japan, and these meds are carried over from a prescription from my former doctor in Australia. My Japanese doctor isn't very fluent in English, and I'm about the same in Japanese, particularly when it comes to a medical conversation. So consultations are mostly a quick "more of the same" session, unless something has come up.

I do need also to point out that pregabalin is not Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme approved for GAD in Australia, so must be prescribed off-label and the patient bear the full cost. It came to about five dollars a day (about two pounds something), but I thought it was money well spent - other people might spend the same on a coffee or a beer.

Can pay enough to have your sanity. I'd pay almost every penny i earned if it made me "normal"

I don't know if I am completely normal (or if anyone is, really), but I certainly can go about my everyday life now without agonising over many things in a way I couldn't before.

Also, I was lucky to be able to afford the five dollars a day - I'm well aware that there are people not so fortunate.

Thanks for the replies guys.

I really hope these are going to work long term as I have gone through so many different drugs over the past 5 years to try and get the improvement I am getting now.

I have had some very bad experiences with SSRI's.

On pregablin I feel nearly normal.. the world has turned from Greys to colour again, and I am able to do things I haven't been able to for ages.

I have been treated long term.... many years... for anx/depression by treating the depression, but it seems now the anxiety was causing the depression not the other way round.

I would almost say that this drug has made my life worth living again... with all the caveats that go with that... I havn't had a thought of topping myself for over a month now.

I have pre read through the forum prior to posting and picked up some good information re dosges etc.

I havn't had any real downsides of side effects so far at all, so I hope I can tolerate pregabalin long term.

where in UK are you Promethian?

Kings Lynn, Norfolk

and di your GP prescribe no problem? Did you try other meds first?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information