Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New job on Monday - stress stress stress. Help me fight it. Thanks :)

Re: New job on Monday - stress stress stress. Help me fight it. Thanks :)

Quote Originally Posted by .Poppy. View Post
    No idea on the time difference, but how did it go?
    You remembered! Consider me charmed and grateful .

Better than most of my first times. I am trying the DARE approach so whenever I was getting stressed I quickly defused it with a whatever, accepted it and stop fearing it and... Well I envisioned the origin of my anxiety voice being a sock puppet telling me things by my ear. Which helped me smile rather than scare haha. I guess this works. I still had a couple of bad spells but overall very decent. Tomorrow is a new day so let's see if I make a 2 out of 2 and if not oh well. Whatever

Yay! I've never heard of the DARE approach, but if it works it works.

I know tomorrow will go great too. And once you settle in, you'll wonder how you ever felt nervous.
    Sometimes I fly like an eagle, sometimes I'm deep in despair.

Yay! I've never heard of the DARE approach, but if it works it works.

I know tomorrow will go great too. And once you settle in, you'll wonder how you ever felt nervous.
    It basically goes like this :

What if I suck at it?
    Original response : I won't focus

dare approach : so what? They might fire me. Quickest fire ever woohoo. I welcome this anxious and stressful feeling however. Stick with me stress. Don't go. We got a job to do together. I welcome you but I am not afraid of you. Make my belly dance givey throat bumps tingle my leg. While at it, tingle the other one too.

Basically it's an acceptance in an embracing, compassionate and humorous approach.

And since you are my life coach in a sense I will update you tomorrow!

Thanks for the support!

Haha, the idea of me being a life coach is funny. I feel like my own life is a mess!

I'm happy to support you, though! I know how scary starting new jobs can be - I've been at my job a year now and though I'm comfortable in the role there are still days I get confused and feel bad about it.

It sounds like you are doing just fine though. I hope day 2 is going just as well!
    Sometimes I fly like an eagle, sometimes I'm deep in despair.

Haha, the idea of me being a life coach is funny. I feel like my own life is a mess!

I'm happy to support you, though! I know how scary starting new jobs can be - I've been at my job a year now and though I'm comfortable in the role there are still days I get confused and feel bad about it.

It sounds like you are doing just fine though. I hope day 2 is going just as well!
    I think life is such that we all need another to support us one way or the other.
    Day 2 started with a restless sleep but when I woke up I managed to turn the stress on it'd head. It was a way more productive day for me spent both learning and joking around with my colleagues.

A big part of this I owe to you so thank you.

This is great news. If it is going as well as this at this stage, you should be fine. You have got some good ideas on coping with the stress, and the stress should lessen anyway as you settle in more and your confidence grows. I have started jobs where I feel absolutely wretched at this point!!!!

Well done!

Glad to hear it is going well, you seem to fit in well with colleagues and you are managing your stress, that is great

Clare

Yes, everything is going well.
    My colleagues have been very welcome and helpful as well - I think , hard as it is for all of us ('ve gone through the process of celexa, cbt, therapy, and multiple self help books myself), i feel that putting on a smile and remembering to hug ourselves help.
    I think that helped me the most was the DARE approach of not fighting my stress, as well as constantly telling myself that I love myself, I care for myself, and it's okay if I get fired, or let go, or the place sucks - all those what ifs thoughts.
    Telling myself that it's okay, and accepting the stress and anxiety that naturally comes instead of feeling guilty/sickly/odd/secretive for feeling that way really helped me.
    At the end of the day, we only need to answer to the one person we run away from the most in our lives:
    Ourselves!
    Thank you all for your help.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information