Thread: Roller coaster

Roller coaster

Hi everyone

I am new here, but not new to anxiety and panic attacks. What gets me is the roller coaster ride that I have been on the last year or so. There are days when I experience panic and anxiety and all the weird things that go with it, and then there are days when I am calm and at peace; only to be hit by the most illogical and irrational symptoms.
    My main concern is chest pain and feelings of dizziness. I had everything checked out and my gp says I am fine, but it is as though my mind does not want to accept it. I still catch myself in a panic as soon as the pain comes - it is as though my body's natural reaction to these pains beats my knowledge that it is harmless every time. I then have to reassure myself, but the problem is that the adrenaline is released already and I know that I can expect some nasty symptoms in the near future. The worst is when the symptoms hit in the middle of the night. Last night was one such occasion; my upper body tensed up so much that it felt as though it was in a cast or there was a block of concrete resting on my chest. I told myself that it is only anxiety, but then, just as I start to fall asleep it would feel as though I am falling through my own bed. How weird is that? This causes me to jump up involuntarily and I find it difficult to sleep with a body that has a mind of its own!
    My question is: is there a point where the natural reaction of the mind is to know that the symptoms are only anxiety related and therefore harmless, and therefore stop the release of adrenaline, OR, will there be a time when the mind will start believing the info that I am feeding it and be able to reasure the body before adrenaline is released?

Thanks for a great site

Greetings

Re: Roller coaster

Sorry, I repeated the question in the second half. My English teacher will have a fit! What I meant to ask in the second part is, "Will i have to back peddle evertime after adrenaline is released for the rest of my life?

Thanks
    PS Getting offline cause big thunderstorm approaching - lost three modems already

Re: Roller coaster

I also wonder when the adrenaline will subside naturally for me too, we know its the anxiety/panic that causes it, but just knowing that does not seem to help it at all. I have to keep taking the beta blockers to control the physical symtoms, propanalol, don't know where I'd be without it!

Thread Information