Thread: Awful feeling of panic/unease & wondering about some antibiotics

Awful feeling of panic/unease & wondering about some antibiotics

Hi guys,

I have been doing ok. I can usually control any symptoms. However, I have had the most horrific earache and I was up all night crying in pain - went to docs today and he's gave me antibiotics. He asked if I had had a reaction to erythromycin as it said I had on his screen. I said errrrrm I can't remember? When? He told me last year in October and said I had had stomach cramps with them. I was puzzled and told him, so he deleted the note and gave me them. Anyway, I got home, opened them, and they are bright red tablets and they are ringing a bell for me not taking them for some reason - I can remember getting a stronger course of a different antibiotic for something but I can't remember why. Anyway, I have had the horrid feeling of panic all day, and the feeling of my throat being strangled again, but I am not sure if it's the tablets, or if I felt like this before. Regardless, I am going to ring them back in the morning and ask for some different ones. This feeling is awful - I haven't felt like this for a while now, and I am struggling to cope with it. Has anyone felt like this on these tablets? Sorry for the whinge

Re: Awful feeling of panic/unease & wondering about some antibiotics

I think sometimes doctors make notes of these things if we comment on really any side effect. I'm not allergic to ANY medication, but there's a note on my medical chart that my doctor will sometimes bring up - apparently I had a bit of stomach trouble with one antibiotics years ago, mentioned it, and he made a note. That's it. Nothing bad, just something that happened.

Side effects have never scared me previously but recently I've had a major fear of them, so I sympathize.

It's probably nothing on your end, but if a different antibiotic will do the trick and make you feel better, go for it.
    Sometimes I fly like an eagle, sometimes I'm deep in despair.

Erythromycin is one of the most common antibiotics on the market and depending on the manufacturer, it can vary in appearance. I really think you'll be fine. The sooner you start them, the sooner you feel better

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

It's probably best to ask and likely change them, Pepperpot. He must have put that note on for allergy for a reason.

Commonly prescribed meds do cause allergic reactions in some people. My mum was put on a dual antibiotic a couple of years ago and spent the afternoon with sickness & diarrhoea. I asked a pharmacist in my local supermarket and she said it was a very common allergy to certain types of antibiotics. And it was the smaller dose of one specific one that always caused it in that med. The one you are on has that adverse effect too so that might have been why you had the stomach cramps.

Are you on any antidepressants?
    Last edited by MyNameIsTerry; 08-03-16 at 08:54. Reason: Adding Missed Detail

I had strong stomach cramps on erythromycin and have never taken them again. Another broad spectrum antibiotic would certainly be an option provided that you weren't allergic to penicillin?

I'm not surprised at how you are feeling in view of what you're dealing with. Ask for an alternative antibiotic as soon as possible and take painkillers in the meantime. I hope this clears up very soon xx

Thread Information