Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Claire Weekes discussion thread

Claire Weekes discussion thread

Hey all, I wanted to talk about Claire Weekes as applied to GAD. Has anyone had success with her?

Re: Claire Weekes discussion thread

I've got one of her books & found it really comforting. Not a cure for me but it contains some useful advice & I find it makes me feel better. I'll buy some more of her books for sure.

My first experience of her was in the 1980s aand I still have all her books. I was also lucky enough to see her regularly on tv at that time. As Suziewuzie said, her advice really did bring comfort. It was such a relief to see symptoms of anxiety explained, as doctors in those days tended to just hand out tranquilisers and they added to the problem.

I still live with anxiety and phobias, Ive accepted they are just part of what makes me who I am, but they no longer have so much power over me. I feel sorry for those sufferers who are just starting their anxiety journey. ..being frightened of symptoms can bring people to their knees, but learning how to face up to anx for what it is will come eventually. Dr. Clare Weekes helped a whole generation to understand it.

I still have a read of her books if I feel anxiety getting a grip and her words of encouragement still work.

ISB

I have recently got in to Claire Weekes and have found her talks very comforting and uplifting. I am currently reading one of her books as well.
    I have to say that she is the only one so far that has had a good affect on me.

I can't thank Claire Weekes and her work enough. I only wish she were still alive so I could thank her personally. She is what got me out of being housebound for months and from having constant severe panic attacks to rarely having them and almost wanting a panic attack so I could test myself and put what she taught me into motion.

I had her books and audio recordings and I still read/listen to them nowadays when I have a bad day and they bounce me back a lot sooner than anything else. Her work also helped my OCD a bit but she pretty much cured my panic disorder and agoraphobia.

I was very hesitant at first because we've all tried these self help stuff in the past and usually they are a lot of crap and I couldn't go on meds due to my OCD contamination fears and I was housebound so couldn't go to therapy plus the waiting list was so long so I was at my wits end and ready to try anything. Along with her work, I also made a challenge chart where I wrote down all the things I was terrified to do which ranged from small things like walking out to my bins outside to major things like going into town. I made myself do each thing 5 times over the course of a month and scored how hard or easy it was. At the start, everything was 10/10 and so difficult but quickly, very quickly, I gained confidence and the score got lower each time and for the first time in years, within a few weeks of doing the chart and listening to her work, I was in town and stayed in for 2 hours instead of just 2 seconds. 3 years on, I've not become housebound again, I've been on holiday both on plane and long car journeys, I meet people I haven't met in years, I go out alone (and sometimes prefer that tbh) and much more. I still get panics evey single day but they can be shrugged off and don't even waste a minute of my day now thanks to her approach. Sometimes I do still get a massive one that terrifies me but that is only once a month now roughly instead of daily.

Like everyone, I did find acceptance hard to do at first and it very much is hit or miss the at the start. One day I would follow her teachings perfectly and felt like I finally got the hang of it and the next, I failed completely. What I loved about Dr Weekes was that the way she taught things was very professional and knowledgeable but also very empathic too. You felt like she was not only talking from experience (she suffered from panics and a breakdown) but that she also genuinely cared and was on your side and rooting for you. She gave you the confidence to actually go through a panic instead of running away from them. Eventually one day everything just clicked and I knew how to accept after a lot of failure and ever since, it's been cemented into my brain.

I sound the ultimate Claire Weekes fan girl and tbh, I am. She is what gave me my life back and tbh, saved it - not meds or therapy and I couldn't be more grateful for her work. Therapy and meds are the road for some people and that's fine, but following her work on the side will definitely not hinder you. If anything, it'll help

"Save your sympathy for someone else. I don't need it or want it. What you call a panic attack is merely a few normal chemicals that are temporarily out of place in my brain. It is of no significance whatsoever to me!"

"Recovery always lies ahead - however painful the moment"

"Recovery lies in the places and experiences you avoid"

Dr Claire Weekes.

Im a Claire Weekes fan. Listen to her every day here in jail. I just have one basic practical question which is how do you accept as opposed to put up with? Thanks. I should add Im a typical GAD but with a seemingly insurmountable problem. Acquittal or 15 years for something I didnt do.
    Last edited by akb; 12-03-16 at 12:03.

I think it's a very fine line between the two akb. My understanding of it is that putting up with it is still being all tensed up angry and gritting your teeth, but acceptance is saying 'what the hell..bring it on!' and losing the fear. Claire Weekes helped alot of sufferers lose the fear.

ISB x

If I could carry Claire Weekes Words around with me all day, I would.
    She really knows how to get through to you and has the most convincing manner.

Hi ISB

Thanks for your reply and I understamd your meaning. Ive had success in getting through panic but the feeling of apprehension still looms. I added to prevkous post to be more specific. Claire would tell me to see the problem from anothrr angle. Any advice welcome

When you said jail I thought you were referring to being imprisoned in your home because of anxiety sorry, didn't realise you actually meant jail for real and in Vietnam of all places. Were you a sufferer before jail or as a result of? Can't imagine how strong you have to be in that enviroment. I'd be in a heap in the corner 24/7

ISB x

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information