Thread: Benzos

Benzos

Really scared of ssri and the other snri side effects. As a kid I was on a combi olanzapine/paxil/effexor and clonazapam with trazadone.

I am wondering if there are any good benzos that are good for anxiety and ocd or just anxiety. They seem safer in my books for symptoms. I take diazepam but stopped a day ago to do some research to reassure that it is safe. I do like it tho.

Is there any euphoric anti anxiety meds, I read lyrica but once again get concerned of certain possible side effects. My scares are cancers and such, i also have high blood pressure and insomnia. Any meds that from the drugs.com website dont have horrid side effects, it seems only benzos keep it simple. I have realized it is time to start treatment again after these bad 5 yrs

dr says paxil/zolloft but zoloft i saw cancern concern and paxil i was on in the past. He is willing to give anything I would suggest. Just need advice from everyone
    Last edited by senalarose; 09-03-16 at 21:33.

Re: Benzos

lyrica is supposed to be good for anxiety, definitely worth considering

i guess ive always been comfortable with benzos, in my eyes they are safer and if not never saw the deadly effects and am glad. I was a drug abuser for years but I do not abuse benzos when given them. It just is not an issue. But more advice can help me do research on other meds. I have not researched my diazepam because I take it currently and do not want to trigger more anxiety of dying.

I inadvertantly became addicted to benzos. Just gradually took more of them, before I struggled without them. I now need to take 12mg diazepam a day (switched from lorazepam) which does nothing except prevent me feeling withdrawal symptoms. In order to get the same benefit I used to, I would need to take a higher dosage which would probably only give me increased benefit for a short while.

The side effects of benzo withdrawal can be pretty horrendous. Personally, I would never look at them as the solution for long term anxiety management.

SSRI side effects are temporary. They're not nice whilst they're happening but they're temporary. At most 6-8 weeks. Also, it's very unusual for your body to stop benefiting from them like what can happen with benzos.

Quote Originally Posted by wantpeace View Post
    I inadvertantly became addicted to benzos. Just gradually took more of them, before I struggled without them..... The side effects of benzo withdrawal can be pretty horrendous. Personally, I would never look at them as the solution for long term anxiety management.
    Reality and good advice....

Quote Originally Posted by senalarose View Post
    iI was a drug abuser for years but I do not abuse benzos when given them. It just is not an issue.
    This is a very slippery slope is taken based on what "wantpeace" said, your drug abuse history and well documented cases. There are several meds that can be and are effective for anxiety that are not addictive.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

I agree with it being a slippery slope... Benzos are only helpful for so long. With time and regular use, your body develops tolerance and needs more and more for the same effect ... dependence also occurs.

My anxiety has OCD traits and I have had lots of success with Lexapro and really manageable side effects in the beginning that went away.

lexapro wasnt the best, it worked for 3 weeks and then i got very bland and just satisfied with doing nothing. It was amazing tho.

Fish what ones have you heard of that may be on your mind? Just researching my choice

All the benzos are addictive and you have to withdraw from them very slowly.

If you don't like SSRI's there are the older tricyclic's which are also antidepressants and not addictive.
    They take a while to build up in your system and relieve symptoms (about 2-3 weeks)
    The tricyclic's have been around since the early 1960's so are pretty safe.

Amitriptyline and Doxepin are 2 well known ones. Doxepin is more sleep inducing.

Just another option,
    Lesley

Thread Information