Thread: Started spotting between periods, now big blood clots while on period

Started spotting between periods, now big blood clots while on period

I am 20 years old and have been on the same birth control pills for 4 years. I got my period Feb. 8 and had it for the normal 7 days. A week after it stopped, I noticed brown discharge in my underwear which I found out is called "spotting". This continued for 20 days. I talked to a doctor who said to keep taking my pills like usual and that it probably was that my pills are simply no longer working for me. I also got a Pap exam but haven't gotten the results back.

I was supposed to get my next period on March 7 and wasn't sure I would since I had been spotting for so long. Well, I did. Except this period is very odd. It's not very liquidy and is mostly clots. This morning when I woke up and went to the bathroom a clot came out that was huge--probably 2 x 2 inches. I have never had so many clots and I'm really worried it's some undiagnosed cancer that caused my spotting and is now causing all these clots. I have never had anything irregular about my periods so all of this is really scaring me.

I also have been feeling pretty lightheaded today, despite the fact that I've been drinking lots of water and take multivitamins (so I shouldn't be iron deficient).

Anyone have advice or experiences with this? Please help. I'm really freaked out, but don't want to go back to the OBGYN because I was just there 2 days ago and don't want them to think I'm crazy.

Re: Started spotting between periods, now big blood clots while on period

Anyone?

Hi Megs - I used to get this when I was your age. It stopped for a long time though but now I'm in my early 40's my last couple of periods have been heavy & clotty (sorry if TMI)! It can be due to many things & at your age I don't think it's anything to worry about. I have mild endometriosis & a cyst which can be the cause of heavy bleeding/clotting. Not in any way suggesting this is what you have but I would definitely go back to your doctor for a chat to put your mind at rest. They will be able to advise you more. It may be your pill has stopped working for you or it might just be a one-off bad period. Hope you feel better soon.

Hi, as Meche said it's more than likely to be your pill as this controls a normal cycle anyway, by interfering with the hormone balance and if yours is no longer working as well for you it may be time for a change. There are other conditions that can cause clotting as well as endometriosis, such as polycystic ovary syndrome which my daughter has and was diagnosed at age 23. Best to seek advice from your health clinic.

ISB x

I still believe--what were the signs for your daughter? I am seeing another OBGYN tomorrow morning and will mention these things to her.

Thread Information