Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Just starting Pregablin

Re: Just starting Pregablin

thank you smiling albert and shiznit76 (hey, we have a number in common!) I am doing OK on pregablin, now up to 100 mg a day, and then 150 mg a day for two weeks before tapering up again. My psychiatrist also wants to put me on either Venlafaxine (which i have told him my GP tried and I hated it) or Mitrazapine, which from what you say smilingalbert, is a good combination? I think I have seen other people also mention that because of the sedating effect of Mitrazapine, it is really good for severe anxiety and severe depression (which he told me is my diagnosis). I am seeing him again tomorrow, and would like to start the Mitrazapine then too if he agrees, as I am feeling a bit less anxious, but low. (No SSRI for over a week now, first time in 6 years I haven't been on any ).
    Shiznit76 - I am in southern england, and my psych dr did say that he would have to write to my GP to carry on prescribing it, as most GP's won't prescribe it as a first line treatment due to the cost, but have to if a consultant tells them. Good luck with your psych appointment, I think just ask for it outright, tell them you need this, and fingers crossed, he will prescribe it for you. I can definately tell I have a lot less anxiety already compared to this time last week. I hear that once it is off patent, and other manufacturers can make it, it will become a lot cheaper.
    I seem to be OK driving thank goodness, it's as though I know I have to concentrate harder, so I manage. I did ask my husband (who can't drive any longer for medical reasons) if my driving was any different, and he said not, so that was reassuring).
    Really hope I get the mitrazapine as well tomorrow, i do feel I need the combination, and thank you smiling albert, and shiznit76 for your replies, Wish you both well xx

---------- Post added at 17:10 ---------- Previous post was at 17:08 ----------

Oh I forgot to say, i stopped Fluxoetine cold turkey, but touch wood so far, havent had any withdrawal symptoms to speak of

Thanks for info Smartie, hope my psych will let me try this then. In Scotland it isn't licensed for GAD, but think psych can still prescribe it for anxiety.
    Have you noticed a big difference on it?
    I was on Venlafaxine a few years ago, it is really hard to come off so would not really recommend it

Good to hear good news Smartie,

Preg is off patent now (for anxiety) in the UK, and there is a generic out there, but prices have not come down noticeably as yet, but that will hopefully change soon and will hopefully remove some restrictions somewhat.

Yes Mirt could well help your lowness, but keep an eye on the sleepiness (esp re driving), and also weight gain (be prepared to feel hungry - and stuff yourself with salad etc. to avoid this, not junk food).

Best wishes,

Albert

Quote Originally Posted by smartie76 View Post
    Oh I forgot to say, i stopped Fluxoetine cold turkey, but touch wood so far, havent had any withdrawal symptoms to speak of
    How long were you on the Fluoxetine for?

It's a very slow drug to withdraw from, even cold turkey.

Are generic versions of the drug as good as the brand make?

>>Are generic versions of the drug as good as the brand make?

In theory, yes.

In reality, the allowed differences between them are larger than you might think

But for the vast majority of people, no difference will be noted...

Quote Originally Posted by SmilingAlbert View Post
    >>Are generic versions of the drug as good as the brand make?

In theory, yes.

In reality, the allowed differences between them are larger than you might think

But for the vast majority of people, no difference will be noted...
    Hello smilingalbert. We have exchanged a few posts previously many months ago. Hope that you are well. Interested what you know about the differences between brands of lyrica. Reason I ask is that I recently I picked up a new prescription and noticed that the supplier was different to previous batches. Was previously mylan or Pfizer but now Acor. Since taking this new generic I have had awful side effects. My psychiatrist assured me that it is my mind playing tricks on me.

Hello again Hipha,

Yes - am good thanks -

I thought you had given up on the Preg? Hope it is kind of helping, despite your recent experience. Yes Pfizer is the original producer of Preg. Were you doing OK when you were on the Pfizer Preg?

Although the allowed differences are greater than you might imagine, the molecule has to be identical. I remember from your previous posts that you were very sensitive to meds; I fear your psych. may be at least in part correct here. As we all know, one's mind can have powerful physical impacts.

FWIW, I am still getting Pfizer Preg, so am not able to comment on whether the generic feels the same or not.

Best wishes,

Albert

I was given Pregabalin Accord by a pharmacy once, it was totally different to the Pfizer Pregab and had no benefit at all.

I went back to GP and he now writes Pregabalin Pfizer on all my prescriptions, even though he is not really supposed to do so.

So in my experience , no the generics are not the same.

Thank you for your replies. I decided to withdraw from mirtazapine and lyrica back in June 2015 after feeling that I was not getting any benefit for my anxiety and associated nausea. Mirtazapine withdrawal was tough but achieved this late July and then commenced lyrica tapering in late August. Managed to get down to 25+25 daily in early December but after waiting 4 months for withdrawal symptoms to calm down I am now stuck on this dose with intense nausea the main issue. I am worse now than I was when I was on the combo of mirt and
    Lyrica. At the time the benefits were hardly noticeable so I decided to drop both. Now I am really struggling and not sure whether withdrawal is still playing its part or My illness has progressed. New psychiatrist thinks that my sensitivity to SSRI and SNRI drugs is triggered by panic when side effects first appear. Seems plausible. I think that I am clutching at straws regarding different lyrica (pregabalin) brand. Suspect that I will have no option but to drop lyrica whilst symptoms persist. Not a good news story from me regarding lyrica although have a revised view of mirtazapine now. It did lift my mood at least. Hope that you are still smiling Albert

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information