Thread: Citalopram should I stop

Citalopram should I stop

Sorry to be asking again but I just don't know what to do.
    Eight weeks in on Citalopram 10mg and I have no appetite (my reason for cit was struggling to swallow/eat due to anxiety) and have lost two Stone (I needed to so not a big problem on its own), but I've now started waking in the night in a panic and and had a panic attack this morning. Something I haven't had for many months - a long time before I took any tablets.
    I worry constantly about not eating and drinking and generally feel the cit has done nothing but harm. It was supposed to help me relax and eat again but instead I've completely lost my appetite - something I did have a bit of before I started taking the tablets.
    I spoke to my GP on Monday voicing my worries and said my anxiety had gone up massively in the last week, and he said to keep on taking the tablets and see him in two weeks.
    I've read that you can get worse before you get better and wonder if I persist I will break through, but surely eight weeks is long enough to know if the cit will work??
    Strangely my GP seems quite happy with my lack of appetite and anxiety levels so does he know I will come out the other side, or should I just tell him enough is enough and I want to quit the tablets???

Re: Citalopram should I stop

Hi Bramwell,

Sorry I can't help any more but I just wanted to say I hope my posts about my experience haven't made you feel any worse. I know I found it really hard when I was trying to stay positive about my meds and then kept reading negative posts about them.

Some people would say that 8 weeks isn't long enough to get the full benefits. I dont know.
    If you really feel like you're getting worse though, I would be quite forceful with your doctor and tell him/her that you're now having panic attacks for the first time in a long time & you aren't sure you're happy to continue like this. See what they suggest

Re: Citalopram should I stop

Hey Bramwell, 10mg is a very low dose, usually to start on the tablet and get it into your system. This happened to me the first time i took cit and after 4 weeks my doctor increased the dose to 20mg which did the trick totally.

I would ask your doctor why he wants you to stay at this dose without a change when you are clearly at the 8 week mark as he may have a good reason or he just might not be that clued up on AD's. My doctor has always said 8 weeks, but has upped me sooner if he thinks ive needed it.

Sorry i couldn't be more help but i would defo have a chat with your GP if you are feeling like this.

Thread Information