Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What can you tell me about Mirtazapine?

Re: What can you tell me about Mirtazapine?

Little Miss Alone,
    No, I am not self employed, I am a teacher. I am reluctant to take time off as I had 4 weeks off sick this time last year. I didn't take another dose last night and feel a bit better today (quite shaky but less tired). I'm wondering whether to hold out until the Easter holidays in 3 weeks time and try again.

Hey guys,

I've managed 6 days on Mirt 30mg so far and not expecting miracles but the anxiety is still crippling.

I too had bad reactions to SSRIs and went about 6 weeks off antidepressants but things weren't improving and the psychiatrist insisted I am actually depressed and that needs treated before the anxiety will improve.

I found I actually slept reasonably well the first 4 nights, very spaced out and hard to get going in the morning. Though I've had to leave work so don't have much to jump out of bed for!

I actually tried Mirt at the end of the SSRI attempts for a couple of weeks and felt things got worse but I was only taking 7.5 (half what the GP originally gave me) and the psychiatrist insisted that 30 mg and above should have less sedating effects due to the balance of chemicals.

It's still early days and a bit disappointing but I have no choice but to persevere. The good news is that the Mirt hasn't made the anxiety worse which the SSRIs did.

Morning 23fish

I understand your reluctance to take time off if you're a teacher. I used to teach, but then went supply because it was too stressful. Even that became too much!

Perhaps leaving it until the Easter hols would be a good idea if you can cope until the. I wouldn't recommend full time teaching and getting used to any anti depressants. See how you cope and perhaps tell the head. You won't be the first teacher at your school stressed out!

Good luck.

Well I'm ashamed to say I only took this for two days and then stopped it. I know that's ridiculous but I couldn't bare the tiredness the following days, I couldn't wake up for hours and spent all day in a fog looking forward to sleeping. I just couldn't hack it so am back on the citalopram.
    Best of luck to those on it, I'm sure it's wonderful if you give it a chance and I certainly dont condone doing what I did!

Great! Citalopram works too. Stick with it! My friend is on it and she is flying now, and she was as low as the rest of us.

Good luck!

Thanks for your understanding reply, Little Miss Alone. I am going to see the doc again just before the Easter holidays and see if I should start at a different dose, then I can have 2 weeks to get used to it. I wanted to try without medication as I've been on it for so long, and sometimes I think I'm making progress. My son, however, is really struggling with anxiety (GCSEs looming too) and that has made it extra hard to cope, so a little helping hand would be wonderful. Hope you're OK

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information