Thread: Evidence of disociation?

Evidence of disociation?

Just a quick one -

I was searching re: strange symptoms I've been getting, and came on here. A pm referring to an old post of mine has got me freaked out! The post in question describes exactly what I have been experiencing just recently, but was written over 5 years ago. The WAY I described the symptom is what's really getting to me - almost word for word how I explained my current thing to my husband yesterday - I swear I have no recollection of ever describing this, in this way ever before?? Or even of having the symptom before?

When I was trying to explain to my husband yesterday I was really searching hard for how to describe it. I even used the same words to my gp today. I can't believe I've used the exact same phrases and description before. Is this related to disociation? As in, when I was experiencing the same thing 5 years ago, had I gone into a dissociative state??

My mind is blown right now.

Re: Evidence of disociation?

It's possible that you had experienced it before, but forgot about it as time went on. It's a scary, scary feeling, no wonder you suppressed it! I hope it doesn't happen to you again, or at least not as often any more

In terms of Dissociative Disorders, you would be thinking Dissociative Amnesia due to this being about memory loss. (Dissociative Fugue is another one but that usually involves purposeful travelling beyond that of the amnesia version, so it sounds even less likely). Since the amnesia version looks towards evidence of traumatic events, it doesn't sound like at all as you just seem to have been trying to describe symptoms as opposed to experiencing trauma.

I agree with Ana. The subconscious will have stored that memory and because of that it can recall it if needed. It's much more plausible that you have simply forgotten it. There is plenty I struggle to remember about my symptoms over nearly 10 years of anxiety. It's very plausible that in trying to construct your explanation of symptoms, your subconscious recalled the memory to assist with it which allowed for it to be strikingly similar.

Thanks for your replies, it really freaked me out (I'm ok now). Yes, my subconscious recalling the memory to help with an explanation makes perfect sense - sometimes I REALLY wish my subconscious would talk to me

Thread Information