Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Static/Grainy Vision, especially in the dark or dim light.

Static/Grainy Vision, especially in the dark or dim light.

Hello everyone, i hope you are doing well.

A big source of my anxiety is that i have noticed that i see some kind of faint static/grain/noise or whatever you name it. When i am in a dark room or stare at anything dark like the night sky i don't see pitch black but instead the darkness itself has some kind of grain/noise like the one you get when you try to take a photograph in the dark/dim light. I also get this when i close my eyes. Another way to describe it is that it looks like the fuzzyness in your vision when you find yourself in a dark room right after being in a well lit one.

It doesn't really affect my vision and during the day i cannot see it expect when i stare into a black surface but even then it's in a much smaller degree. I should also mention that i became aware of it when i read online about a condition called visual snow and being the anxious me i freaked out after reading some horror stories about people having their lives ruined by it.

Do you think that this is normal? Does anyone else have this?

Re: Static/Grainy Vision, especially in the dark or dim light.

Me insider with this its called visual snow ! Fuzzy static vision I have it 247 blurred to its horrible but I can deal with it

I'm sorry to hear that you struggle with it too. Did you always have it?

This is normal, everyone has grainy vision in the dark, although I GUESS it could be some slight visual snow but this doesn't sound like anything to worry about

You think so turboswag? Truth be told i have noticed it a couple of times since i was a little kid but always dismissed it as something normal/not out of the ordinary. That changed when i read that stupid post during an already stressfull time and indentified it as something dangerous. Do you have it too when you stare at black surfaces or in the night sky?

Here is a picture of what i am talking about (just add http) because i can't posts links yet.

oi67.tinypic.com/wv1t87.jpg

My snow is much more fine though and it is kinda "shimmery" when i am in a dark place.

It's totally normal. We have rods and cones in our eyes. Rods detect light vs dark and cones detect color. In the dark, your cones are effectively rendered useless so you're only seeing with the rods. You also lose a sense of sharpness as all the parts aren't working. That and the fact you're being hyper aware of something everyone in the world experiences and thinks nothing of

Positive thoughts
    Last edited by Fishmanpa; 03-04-16 at 17:12.
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Holy cr@p Fishmanpa, your explanation really hits the spot. I have struggled with this almost 2 years and whether or not its normal. Do you notice it too?

I really do get the hyper awareness part too because once there was a storm and i was the only one getting anxious over why the lights in the house were slightly flickering and if it had anything to do with my vision problems. Well, after some time my father remarked the same thing and there i was feeling stupid because i wasted so much time worrying just because i was aware of such a meaningless thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Desimal View Post
    Holy cr@p Fishmanpa, your explanation really hits the spot. I have struggled with this almost 2 years and whether or not its normal. Do you notice it too?

I really do get the hyper awareness part too because once there was a storm and i was the only one getting anxious over why the lights in the house were slightly flickering and if it had anything to do with my vision problems. Well, after some time my father remarked the same thing and there i was feeling stupid because i wasted so much time worrying just because i was aware of such a meaningless thing.
    If I purposely focus I can see floaters and the graininess at night but I don't so

It's like anything else really. Our bodies are noisy in general and if you focus on any one sensation you're off on a spiral googling and then normal headaches become brain tumors, normal freckles and moles become melanoma, normal nodes... ahh the dreaded nodes ~lol~ etc. etc. etc. The examples are endless. But no... I pay it no mind. I know if something needs attention.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

I get grainy vision every night and so does my entire family and pretty much everyone I know, ha! Sometimes I see a visual snow type effect looking at a textured wall or carpet, I think because the pattern is so small (yet over such a large amount of space) that it's hard for my eyes to comprehend. I wouldn't worry about it

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    If I purposely focus I can see floaters and the graininess at night but I don't so

It's like anything else really. Our bodies are noisy in general and if you focus on any one sensation you're off on a spiral googling and then normal headaches become brain tumors, normal freckles and moles become melanoma, normal nodes... ahh the dreaded nodes ~lol~ etc. etc. etc. The examples are endless. But no... I pay it no mind. I know if something needs attention.

Positive thoughts
    See the problem with me is that i notice it even if i am not specifically focusing on it or staring. Could it be that i unintensionally trained myself to look for it? I also notice my floaters a lot more since that incident. If this is my case, could you please tell me your opinion on how to stop doing that? Sorry if i am asking too much but you seem very knowledgeable.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information