Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rescue remedy

Rescue remedy

Anybody tried this? What are your experiences with it?

I took some today and it actually knocked the edge off a bit. I was very sceptical taking it as well. Only took it because the wife insisted. Never thought a few flowers could help, but it definitely did and I don't think it's placebo.

Re: Rescue remedy

Yep, flowers always help ! Quite a few people find rescue remedy is great for situations like taking exams or travelling etc, particularly if you don't want to take heavy duty meds every day. Other natural remedies include Valerian and Kalms which do the same thing. You can also get a night time rescue remedy to help you sleep.

ISB x

I have the tongue spray. I like it, it tastes like wine & I feel better knowing I have it on me in social situations x

I use it now and again. Not sure if it helps but I keep an open mind and anything's worth a try when anxiety comes knocking.

Pip

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

I carry a bottle in my bag and it's calmed me down many times, especially in the car if I feel myself getting anxious.

I have the White chesnut bach Flowers for obsessive thoughts but it calms my anxiety aswell very surprised it actually works! Nice for a quick temporary calm.

I'm a bit of a sceptic when it comes to self medicating with substances that there is zero evidence of scientific cited research/studies apart from pure pseudoscience.

A review conducted in 2010 of all the pertinent studies of "best evidence" produced by the Cochrane Collaboration concluded that "the most reliable evidence – that produced by Cochrane reviews – fails to demonstrate that homeopathic medicines have effects beyond placebo.

I will admit though an effect if felt is real even if the effect is placebo in origin. So I don't disapprove entirely as obviously many people use these and find them useful, Prince Charles included.

What leaves a nasty taste in my mouth is that the people selling/marketing these products must be laugh all the way to the bank with the mark up they're making.
    Also it's a shame some people use these products instead of conventional medicine/treatment for serious life threatening illnesses.

If you fancy a chuckle have a look on YouTube for Homeopathic A&E by Mitchell and Webb.

I'm a bit sceptical when it comes to 'reviews conducted' and 'scientific evidence'.

So what if a pompous study says there is nothing evidential that a product such as Rescue Remedy works? If the anxiety sufferer somehow feels better for taking it, even if it is due to a placebo effect, then IMO THAT is the most important thing, not what some nutty professor type says or tried to validate.

Yes, it may well be that a homeopathic product doesn't tick scientific proof boxes, but if it works for the individual, then as I said....SO WHAT??

I have taken RR on a number of occasions, prior to events that make me anxious, such as long distance travel and appointments. It has helped me calm down a little - not greatly - but has taken the edge of. Whether this is due to - as some claim - the base alcohol content in it - I don't know, but nor do I care. If it works, it is all good!

Hi Debs

I did add the caveat in my post that the placebo effect is an effect therefore the user feels it.
    It worries me that you think the majority of studies are "bunk".

Would you prefer that any company can release a medication/supplement with outrageous/unrealistic claims and the efficacy and long term use of study/research is not in place to validate these claims and safety profile?
    Before you state studies etc have made multiple mistakes in the past, yep, they definitely have, but as everything else science is advancing. Yes, I agree there has been very flawed research in the past and I think sponsored studies and "agreeable" study bias has to be condemned and made unlawful but I'd much prefer some safeguards than a free for all, wouldn't you agree?
    As I travel along the white cliffs of Dover

Quote Originally Posted by Frayed Medic! View Post
    Hi Debs

I did add the caveat in my post that the placebo effect is an effect therefore the user feels it.
    It worries me that you think the majority of studies are "bunk".

Would you prefer that any company can release a medication/supplement with outrageous/unrealistic claims and the efficacy and long term use of study/research is not in place to validate these claims and safety profile?
    Before you state studies etc have made multiple mistakes in the past, yep, they definitely have, but as everything else science is advancing. Yes, I agree there has been very flawed research in the past and I think sponsored studies and "agreeable" study bias has to be condemned and made unlawful but I'd much prefer some safeguards than a free for all, wouldn't you agree?
    Umm, sorry. Where do I say I think the majority of studies are bunk?

I said nothing of the sort. I said that who cares if a homeopathic item such as RR has been scientifically proven to work or not, as long as the user feels it does. As far as I am aware, we live in a democracy. People are not compelled to buy and try something, and will make their own choice about trying it, studies or not.

That is very different to me saying all scientific testing is 'bunk' and that this kind of testing is 'flawed.' Again, I never said that. Of course scientific testing is useful. Of course it has it's place. What I am saying is that when it comes to off the shelf, pretty non-descript, potentially useful remedies such as RR, if a sufferer finds that the product works for them PERSONALLY, then what does it matter if these 'scientific tests' say otherwise?

Please don't put words in my mouth. There is also a HUGE difference between medication and a homeopathic, low risk product such as RR too.

Perhaps you have some kind of agenda here??

Regardless, I beg to differ with your opinion, so am bowing out of this thread here.
    Last edited by debs71; 05-05-16 at 17:51.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information