Thread: Irritable Bowel Syndrome ( pain)

Irritable Bowel Syndrome ( pain)

For the past 8 years at least I have occasionally suffered from severe abdominal pain in different places of abdomen that lasts from a few hours to a day to a few days. It might change places and sides but its always the same pain, builds up over about 5 seconds to a peak then stops but come back after 30 seconds or so.
    I can get it once a year or have it on and off for months.
    I have had endless tests in this time, even had my appendix removed and an exploratory op but nothing found. I have had sigmoidoscopies and colonoscopies and ultrasounds etc etc.
    The only answer the Drs have is it could be severe attacks of bowel spasm or it could be referred pain from the herniated discs in my back.

Does anyone on here have ibs attacks that are like this or any other thoughts?

Re: Irritable Bowel Syndrome ( pain)

I've heard that back pain can radiate through to the stomach/abdomen so you right in that it could be secondary pain from this. I don't suffer from IBS but thought there were other symptoms with bowel movements etc, and not just pain. Hopefully other members with IBS will throw some light on it for you.

Take care
    ISB x

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your problem.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

nolite te basstardes carborundorum

I have IBS and I also get frequent bouts of abdominal pain. It always used to be strictly the left side only, but recently I have been experiencing bad spasms of pain just above my hip on the right side, that doesn't really feel like my normal IBS pains.

The reason I mention this is I also have a back problem, and I too am wondering if it is referred pain I am having. I was diagnosed last year with sacralization of my lumbar spine (L5 I think) and sacroiilitis and have a lot of lumbar pain, especially from my right side and I had physio last year.

I was told by the physio that the best way to try to alleviate the pain is to strengthen my core, so my trunk/abdominal muscles, and this should take the strain off the back. I was given exercises to do daily at home, which I only did when I was seeing the physio, then I got slack. I recently started doing them again since I had the abdo pain, and the pain got a lot better.

Again, the reason I mention this is YOU TOO have a diagnosed back issue, and I am very suspicious now whether your abdo pains may well be related to your back. Muscles of the abdomen may well be strained and overcompensating due to your herniated disc.

Perhaps your doctor is right that this is related to your back?

I have arthritis in my lower back but ive started getting pain below my right ribs at the back its a case of tightening up and it seems to make my bowels go into spasms as i cant relax the muscle there in my back,i have it today and its terrible idont know where to put myself at the moment ..ive heard before that your back can have some sort of pressure in your organs at the front..
    Last edited by prue1956; 24-03-16 at 19:51. Reason: to add something

Thread Information