Thread: Couple of IBS questions for veterans! :)

Question Couple of IBS questions for veterans! :)

Hullo all.

Before i start i'm a 25 year old male!

In light of my recent stomach problems i'm hoping someone can shed some light on some questions i have, as my Dr seems convinced i have some form of IBS and i'm only making it worse with anxiety and stress. Whereas i, the untrained medical professional who read online articles believe i have stomach cancer

Stupid, i know. But i'm at a bit of a loss really.

So my questions are this

1) Most people tend to say they have "bouts" of IBS during the day, or a need to go to the loo. I've had neither. Except a dull persistent abdominal pain that is inbetween my ribs and my belly button. It's there from when i wake up and when i go to sleep. Doesn't wake me up though!

Is this heard of? Anyone had any similar situations where you've had 5+ weeks of IBS type pains ALL the time?

2) Does anyone ever find when they stand up and press their stomach it feels incredibly hard? Like when i sit down it feels somewhat squishy. But when i stand up it's like i'm constantly tightening my stomach!

3) Do your Bowel Movement times go all over the place? Some days ill go in the morning, some days i'll go in the evening. I DID have a couple of weeks of constipation but some CosmoCol laxative seemed to have cleared it up!

I can't seem to find any foods that intensify the pain or make it worse. It's just the same constant dull ache. I've debated going to a&e about it but i doubt they'll do anything, i'd hope for a CT scan but that's probably grasping at straws!

I've tested negative for h-pylori, had my stool checked for calprotectin or whatever it is, had full blood test, all came back normal. Even an abdominal ultrasound (which im waiting on the results of, but sonographer said she couldn't see anything amiss).

My stress has been through the roof. I'm on 2mg Diazepam for panic attacks and have been on Citalopram 20mg for about 5 weeks.

Is it really possible my constant worrying/googling of stomach cancer stories and the such like is making me aggravate my IBS to which it just doesn't go away?

Obviously i'm not expecting an expert diagnoses or anything of the sort. But some reassurance or some stories of people who have confirmed IBS would be SUPER helpful in this. It's driving me up the wall!

Re: Couple of IBS questions for veterans! :)

Hello. I'm currently guilty of this convincing myself I have mouth cancer. Firstly, everyone is different in terms of their symptoms. The hard stomach thing is classic IBS. I get it really bad if I've got to go and do something for example dentist or an exam. After going to the doctor they prescribed me this thing containing peppermint. I never cashed in the prescription as I pay for mine and I had a brainwave of buying peppermint tea. This, works for me every single time. If your issue is not being able to go, try things high in fibre and plenty of fruit and veg. But if you're already suffering with IBS constant googling isn't going to help anything. I find taking a walk every day and eating well helps some of my symptoms, sorry if this isn't as helpful as you'd like.

Thread Information