Thread: Citalopram to Mirt

Citalopram to Mirt

Hi all, I was on 20mg cit for 10 months then increased to 30mg 8 weeks ago.
    These were the worst 8 weeks of my life! Manic feelings then no feelings at all, jaw clenching that's still here and now not sleeping and struggling to eat.

My doctor has told me not to take the cit tonight and to start 30mg of mirt tomorrow night.

Anyone else done this? Please no horror stories though!

Thanks Jemma

Re: Citalopram to Mirt

I switched to mirt from cit last year. I had been on it for 10 weeks and it was awful. I had been on it numerous times in the past and it worked great but this time it wasn't to be . I had been on 30 mg and was cross tapered over a week. I started mirt at 15 mg and the cit was reduced to 15mg. This was done while I was an inpatient in hospital.
    Hope this helps

Thanks Lan, mine seems to be a straight swap, nothing tonight then straight into 30mg mirt tomorrow. Bit concerned as it looks like most people have started on 15mg so I hope this will be ok.

Jem they have probably started you on 30mg because it's supposed to make you less sleepy, so you probably won't sleep for 16 hours and then be a zombie all day like me! X

Ahh never thought of that. Could very well be.

Thanks Suzie x

I incresed to 30mg my second week and have just upped it to 45mg. My sleep has never been disrupted by any increase I go out like a light every night and stay asleep till morning. On cit I was averaging about 3-4 hours now it's about 7-8 hours. I also take pregablin tho so that may be why but whatever it is it made such a difference

They put me on pregabalin last week but he said I can stop that, seems a few people take it with mirt so I might see how I go. Thanks for the reply

It differs between different med switches but here is the guidance showing a careful cross-taper for your combo:

http://www.gpnotebook.co.uk/simplepa...?ID=1651179592

As you can see, many of these combos mean switching by stopping the original one day and starting the new the next day, and so perhaps some GP's do the same instead of cross-tapers if they are unsure? Cross-tapering is supposed to reduce the impact of a withdrawal but so will a "stop & start" process as the drugs will overlap with each other.

Thanks Terry, still suffering some nasty stuff from the cit such as rigid muscles most of the time, jaw clamping (broke 2 teeth) sweating, vivid dreams, agitation, headaches, really bad nausea and diareah and heart banging and trembling. At least the mania bit has calmed down lol. Hoping all this horrible stuff will go on the mirt.

Thread Information