Thread: Spotting for three months - scared whats going on

Spotting for three months - scared whats going on

I've posted before about issues relating to really irregular periods, a bit of background is that basically since I was 11 up to the present day (I'm not 32) my periods have been completely erractic. I never know when they will happen. Over the years the gaps have varied from 4 days to 3 weeks. I might get lucky and get a run of a few months where there is a regular gap but then they will abruptly change again and I could have a few months of another duration between periods or I might have a few months of wildly different timescales between. They have generally been much too frequent rather than any long gaps between each one, I don't think there has ever been a month in my life I haven't had one. The length of them also varies anywhere from about 6 days to almost 2 weeks - again I never have the problem with them being short though lol! They also vary each time how heavy they, although I am lucky they are never really heavy and I don't suffer from any pain or mood swings. I have had the occassional bouts of spotting for around two weeks before I come on but I don't generally have this.

I was quite excited last year as I had about a 10month run of a general gap of 2.5 to 3 weeks between each one, so although they weren't exactly regular I could guess within 3 to 4 days of when they might start. However, this January I started spotting around 6 days after my last period and have been ever since. There were definite weeks in Jan, Feb and March where it was my actual period as this is when it was much heavier. The spotting isn't really heavy its more of a blood in the normal discharge I have always had and so there is blood on the toilet paper but not enough so that I generally have had to use protection for more than a couple of days outside what I'm classing as my actual period. I have no idea what this could be and I'm scared its something like cervical, vaginal or uterine cancer.

I've always went for smears and all but one has been clear. About 5 years ago I had borderline changes that went away by themself. My last smear was probs about almost three years ago and I think I will be getting sent a letter about one soon so I'm not actually up to date in terms of having had a recent one.

I've been to docs about three times in my life to discuss how irregular my cycle has always been but my doc always comes to the conclusion that just how I am!! I've had an ultrasound on my ovaries and apparently they looked 'textbook' perfect, however this was about 7 years ago now so I'm worried something might have changed. The ultrasound was to check for PCOS and on the basis of the clear ultrasound I was told I couldn't have PCOS but my blood test did show higher than normal levels of testosterone (oestrogen was normal) and I've read you can have PCOS but have a clear scan, the blood test alone can show that you have it. I wonder if it could be this?? Has anyone ever been spotting for so long with bloody discharge (sorry for being so graphic!). Although wouldn't high testosterone stop periods not make them too frequent.

I haven't gone to docs yet as my doc always likes to wait and see unless things have been happening for a bit but if it doesn't stop in next couple of weeks will have to go, I'm just so scared it could be a sinister cancer!! And I've read PCOS untreated can actually lead to certain gynaecological cancers.

Do you think I should be worried about this? I'm really hoping people have had similar and it has turned out to be nothing x

I'm not on the pill and never have been and I'm def not pregnant nor have I ever been pregnant.
    Last edited by louise123_uk; 21-03-16 at 20:42.

Re: Spotting for three months - scared whats going on

Do you periods come regularly or are they all over the place? My first thought reading your post was PCOS.

Re: Spotting for three months - scared whats going on

They are erratic in that I never know when they will happen, they're almpst always a different length apart (anything from 4 days to around 3 weeks) but they are generally much too frequent rather than that I ever go a month without one. Can PCOS make things too frequent as well?

Thread Information