Thread: Starting a Skype debating group if people would be interested in joining?

Starting a Skype debating group if people would be interested in joining?

Hello everyone, hope your all well.

I have been thinking about starting a group on Skype to maybe meet up once a week or so to discuss and debate different topics. It could be anything from politics, world affairs, mental health, Fitness, philosophy, to sport, animals, nature, art, hobbies, films, soaps, tv programs, books. So anything really and people can make suggestions as to what they would like to talk about each week.

Bit of a random thing to post on an anxiety forum but I spent a good few years posting on here with severe anxiety and am a bit better now but have been left with what feels like a slow foggy dulled down brain that has been out of action for a long while other than thinking about anxiety lol. So I think something like discussing, debating different subjects and having some conversation might be good for the brain and also might be quite enjoyable.

Everyone is welcome, don't feel you need to be at any great level of intelligence or anything like that as I'm certainly not. It will be lighthearted and hopefully fun for whoever joins in. Let me know if you are interested and we can exchange skype usernames and when we have a few of us we can arrange the first group chat/discussion. Please share this thread if you think you know someone who might also be interested in this.

Thanks everyone, hope to hear from some of you soon

Skype Group link: https://join.skype.com/oGh3uCCWeyTd
    Last edited by Gotagetthroughthis; 23-03-16 at 13:27.

Re: Starting a Skype debating group if people would be interested in joining?

This sounds like an excellent idea.
    I was thinking that the chat room could be used for this as well, if times are agreed. it would be good use of it.
    It might be nice to have a timetable agreed in advance, almost like a book club but broader than that.

Thanks for the reply Mezzaninedoor,

Yes exactly, thats a good description, like a book club but with a broader range of subjects. The timetable also sounds like a great idea.

The thing about the chat room is I was actually wanting to get to a stage where we would have a small group of us and be discussing things over voice call or webcam on Skype, rather than everyone typing furiously in a chat room and text messages flying all over the place which makes it quite difficult to discuss things. That's why I went with the idea of using Skype.

I do know talking over voice or video will be quite daunting for many people, myself included but I really think it would be good if we can get a group of us who is up for it. It will be really laid back, no pressures to talk, so a good place to build some confidence for some people while also having some good conversation.

I have made a skype group if you would like to join, here is the link to the group: https://join.skype.com/oGh3uCCWeyTd

I will add to this to my original post as well. Anyone is welcome to join.

Knowone want to join my little debating group to get the old brain working again

Haha, if anyone changes their mind please post or PM me. Take care

I think I have joined this BUT will need to know when you expect to run debates or discussions.

Thay actually sounds like a cool idea. Instead of just typing you can hear an actual voice. I'd be interested in this.

Im Interested but I'm still not quite sure how this is going to work ?

Quote Originally Posted by BrokenAge View Post
    Thay actually sounds like a cool idea. Instead of just typing you can hear an actual voice. I'd be interested in this.
    Quote Originally Posted by mezzaninedoor View Post
    Im Interested but I'm still not quite sure how this is going to work ?
    Good to hear guys. Im pretty sure on skype you can have a number of people in a group chat and then you can also make voice calls / conference calls where a group of you can talk over voice through a microphone. I think people it for business meetings etc.

I saw you joined the group Mezzaninedoor, looks like it expired though. I think I need to have people as a friend/contact added on skype and then I can add people to the group and they can stay in there without it expiring.

If you two and anyone else interested want to leave me your skype usernames or send them through PM and then I can add you and put you in the group. Then once we get a few of us together we can decide on subjects to discuss.

I am interested. I just googled this exact concept as I would like to start discussing world affairs a bit with some people. My knowledge is very little, but I am becoming more interested in it as well as anything else that can expand my knowledge.

Thread Information