Thread: Propranolol and asthma

Propranolol and asthma

Hi new to the forum, going to have to do a post in the introduction, but i have quick question which i hope someone will be able to help me with.

Been suffering from PA and anxiety for about ten years now, tried various medications in that time. Recently been gettting worse, so i went to see the doctor and she prescribed me propranolol, which i had had in the past. I'd come off it back then as it affected my asthma (or at least i thought it did)

However in recent times i have been using seretide, a steroid inhaler which seems to check my asthma more or less in control, and therefore on that basis my doctor has 'scribed p/nol 40mg three times a day. Part of my general anxiety is built around my perception that breathing is difficult etc. so since taking it i'm never quite sure if my chest is tight or its "all in my mind" !

I was just wondering if anyone else suffering from asthma has had any experience on propranonol ? I've got a very stressful day tomorrow, so not sure if i should carry one with it or fall back on the tried and trusted temazepam....

Would really appreciate any comments

Mark x

frena pro feris teneo

Smile Re: Propranolol and asthma

hi marc although im not asthmatic i do take propranolol for a fast heart beat i sometimes think that when ive taken them i feel as though i cant breathe i dont no if its because im anxious about taking them or its because i no that i take them to slow my heart beat down if u no what i mean ive been taking them for just over 5 years now it never used to bother me about taking them it was'nt untill i started to get anxious and having panic attacks that i started to think about what they were actually doing to me hope this helps take lin

Re: Propranolol and asthma

Hi Marc, I dont have asthma but I did take propranolol for a while but had to stop as they gave me a terrible persistent night time cough, which didnt ease despite reducing the dose of the propranolol. The cough stopped when I stopped taking them which was a pity as I did find they helped with the physical symptoms of anxiety.

I would say take your doctors advice and if you feel they're causing problems you can stop them. I was coughing for ages before it dawned on my GP what was causing it.

Good Luck

Coni XX

Thread Information