Thread: Health anxiety about someone else?

Health anxiety about someone else?

Hi Everyone,

I've been a member here quite a while but very rarely post as I can never find the right words

Anyway, I've read around the forum more and more recently trying to find anyone who suffers health anxiety but relating to someone else? To be clear my anxiety issues date back about 10 years now, worse at times, better at others. Usually centering around health anxiety about my own health. Over the last few years though my anxiety has begun to centre around the health of my partner. He's a good few years older than me and I think this is where is stems from. One of the things that strikes me most is the complete lack of control I have which I think makes it worse, if I was worried enough about something I would go and visit the doctor and find out what was going on, but he is stubborn and I can't blame him if he doesn't want to visit the doctor when he believes nothing is wrong!

This is now completely taking over my life. I had a baby 9 months ago and since christmas (so the last 3 months) I have been getting steadily more hysterical about this. I feel like I can't enjoy my new little family because I'm convinced that he will die and leave us alone. I won't go into the specifics of what I'm worrying about in this original post purely because my main question is - does anyone else here suffer debilitating anxiety about someone else's health and not just their own? And would you like to share your experience if you do?

Thanks for listening x

Re: Health anxiety about someone else?

Hi , I'm kind of in the same boat as you , my anxiety started over my partner she has heart problems and has had several heart attacks because of this she has constant chest infections and pneumonia , having lost my dad young it made me very aware of our mortality and the fear of losing her , she is very stuborn and ignores doctors advice and mine but that side her is what the consultants say has kept her going , couple of years ago we nearly lost our daughter to an overdose , so here I am with my own nightmare health anxiety plus watching her like a hawk for any signs she is not well , I just switch from one worry to another my dogs in at the vets tomorrow for a big op so that's tomorrow's worry sorted out , maybe all my worries might at least make yours look a bit smaller and give you some piece of mind , what I do know is worrying doesn't change a thing and from past experience somtimes things don't work out as bad as you think , I'm starting cbt soon hopefully to learn some way of dealing with what are real problems in a better way , take care and look after that baby they grow so quickly

Re: Health anxiety about someone else?

I have health anxiety over my parents, and my girlfriend.

Thread Information