Thread: Panic episode with mainly DP/DR?

Question Panic episode with mainly DP/DR?

I've been having panic attacks for pretty much as long as I can remember; but today I had one where the main symptoms were depersonalisation and derealisation. I experience these symptoms as a sudden need to get out whcih is a general anxious feeling that I'm well aware of, but also a huge lack of control and I'm scared but I don't know what I'm scared of. I also never feel quite right or like I'm really 'there' - I know I am there but it's almost like I'm watching everything through a glass box, even though rationally I know I'm not. Afterwards I don't remember anything from during the attack at all. The DP/DR can sometimes be the main symptom and sometimes less severe but it has been so severe it has had me crying hysterically at times. The other symptoms: chest tightening, hyperventilating, feeling dizzy/weak I can handle fine - it's when the DP/DR kick in that everything falls completely apart and I don't feel like I can breathe at all. Has anyone had attacks of DP/DR that have led to hyperventilation and crying and these being the only symptoms (no chest tightening, nothing 'typical' as such?)? These attacks are the worst, luckily today's wasn't as bad as it could've been. Any advice? xx

Re: Panic episode with mainly DP/DR?

I could have written this post myself! When I have panic attacks I don't hyperventilate or anything that most normal people experience, I just strongly feel that I need to get out immediately & suddenly feel like nothing around me is real or I'm not real.
    I'm afraid I don't have any advice other than waiting for the awful feeling to pass & distracting yourself as much as possible. The more I think about it the worse it gets.

The part about not remembering sounds like dissociation. That's a mechanism of escape when things become too much.

I recently began to suffer from DP/DR, and am a long time anxiety sufferer.
    Panic attacks usually involve hyperventilation, and chest tightness and a whole bunch of other unpleasant body sensations, but after a period of extreme anxiety, that's where Derealization develops. It's just your body being wracked with anxiety, and it can last for a long period during the day, unlike panic attacks which usually end pretty quickly.
    What helps me is to remember that it IS just a sensation still, and nothing more. The fear feels incredibly real, but it's really just your anxious brain speaking, and telling your body to get ready to run/curl up into a ball. And being in that state can make you feel very unreal/detached.
    Work on your deep breathing, and reduce the panic with distraction, and soon enough the feelings will reduce. Just keep reminding yourself that it is just your mind, and it's all perfectly natural

Sending you huge hugs and I very much hope that you are feeling better.
    I have suffered with Panic disorder for over 10 years. I used to get DP/DR about 5 years back with one episode last almost 3 days. I never thought this would end and I would come back to my 'right-mind' but I DID! And you will too! You are stronger than you know! - If I give any advice it's to know that you are not alone! Many MANY people have had these terrifying experiences and have come out of it to live happy, productive lives. I found youtube videos by Louise Hay very helpful to start learning how to love myself and TRUST myself. The panic is indeed simply stress chemicals that are running through your body and brain. They dissipate- Don't be afraid of the panic, stare it right in the eye and tell it that you are stronger than it is!

Thread Information