Thread: Health anxiety - triggered by tests

Unhappy Health anxiety - triggered by tests

Hi, My husband sent me to this site in an effort to alleviate some of my fears and anxiety.
    Here is the short version ...
    About 18 months ago I began to get pulsatile tinnitus in my left ear. Being the person I was then, I ignored it for about 6 months as I don't have time for the doctors - two kids (the youngest is disabled), I run my own business and was in the final year of a literature degree. Anyhow, the doctor (who seemed quite young and not very experienced) told me he thought I had an aneurysm and sent me for various scans. The first scan came back normal but then I was called back for further scans, suggested an angiogram, seen lots of consultants (neurologist, ENT, Spinal surgeon) now plus had a spine scan which revealed a slipped disc in my neck. I then started to get other symptoms - headaches, sinus pain, flickering vision, strange dryness in left eye. I also have twitches, cramps and joint pain. The consultants insist that there are no abnormalities in the brain except for a couple of abnormal blood vessels which are most likely 'incidental' and would certainly not cause these new symptoms. I have since convinced myself that I have all sorts of degenerate neurological conditions, tumours, stroke, even though the consultants have assured me that I don't have anything like that.
    I have spent a fortune on private healthcare and had many tests - one flagged up something dodgy with my adrenal glands but a further test revealed all was ok. At the end of all of this, I have been told that having looked at the extensive tests and scans, aside from my slipped disc, I am in pretty good shape and that the majority of my symptoms are most likely caused by anxiety and stress. I have addressed diet, walk for an hour every day, have acupuncture for the headaches etc. However, I feel awful. My fears just escalate, I've had days where I can't work and given that I am self employed, this only perpetuates the worry. I am so fed up! I want my life back! My anxiety is ruining everything at the minute and I don't know what to do about it. Before the doctor suggested the aneurysm, I was relatively well, physically and emotionally. Apart from a bout of PND after the birth of my first child, I have always been pretty rational. I'm just here for some support and advice really. Has anyone had anything similar? How do you manage such worries? Every time a consultant reassures me I am okay for a week and then I go downhill again. Sorry for the long post!

Welcome to No More Panic!

Hiya Ra01 and welcome to NMP

Why not take a look at our articles on our home page, they contain a wealth of information and are a great starting place for your time on the forum.

I hope you find the as site helpful and informative as I have and that you get the help and support you need here and hope that you meet a few friends along the way

nolite te basstardes carborundorum

Re: Health anxiety - triggered by tests

Thank you!

Thread Information