Thread: are 'accidents' more common with women?

are 'accidents' more common with women?

Hi,
    someone near and dear to me accidently wet her trousers today- she's healthy so I don't think it's anything to be concerned about- but am i right in saying these things are slightly more common with females than males(that's not to say it's usual)?
    Thanks for your help,
    Mark.

Re: are 'accidents' more common with women?

In her late 20s. Thanks for the reply

Thank you for the advice, I'll certainly pass that on.

I am afraid that I would disagree. These things happen and I am sure the person involved knows if it is a problem she needs to follow up on.

It can certainly be a very common female thing....I have had some issues with it myself, not to an extreme point, but some 'near misses' as it were!

Many women experience similar, and my understanding is that it doesn't necessarly mean something bad is going on. It can simply be a weak pelvic floor muscle issue, and the pelvic floor can be retrained to help matters like this, through strengthening or Kegel exercises. There are loads of vids on Youtube about this and explaining the pelvic floor.

In saying this, could it simply be that the person in question just left it a bit too long to go to the loo? Sometimes this can just be a random thing that occurs....see how things go. If it is a one off, I wouldn't worry, but if not, maybe a GP talk might be good?

Quote Originally Posted by debs71 View Post
    It can certainly be a very common female thing....I have had some issues with it myself, not to an extreme point, but some 'near misses' as it were!

Many women experience similar, and my understanding is that it doesn't necessarly mean something bad is going on. It can simply be a weak pelvic floor muscle issue, and the pelvic floor can be retrained to help matters like this, through strengthening or Kegel exercises. There are loads of vids on Youtube about this and explaining the pelvic floor.

In saying this, could it simply be that the person in question just left it a bit too long to go to the loo? Sometimes this can just be a random thing that occurs....see how things go. If it is a one off, I wouldn't worry, but if not, maybe a GP talk might be good?
    That's what I thought hence why we are always seeing adverts for women as opposed to men. Doesn't giving birth also affect this for some?

I always thought it's less likely for men, I can't remember the reason why but I thought there was a medical reason for men having something extra in that dept that makes it less likely???

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    That's what I thought hence why we are always seeing adverts for women as opposed to men. Doesn't giving birth also affect this for some?

I always thought it's less likely for men, I can't remember the reason why but I thought there was a medical reason for men having something extra in that dept that makes it less likely???
    Yep Terry, giving birth is a MASSIVE cause of incontinence or leakage (ahem)

I think it is to do with the strain that childbirth puts on the pelvic muscles, so they weaken somewhat, which causes the issues.

I have to say that I only know a bit about all this stuff as it isn't my speciality ( pelvic floor issues are not really seen in kids, lol) but I am thinking that anatomy wise, things are waaaay different for blokes as far as that goes, hence why women are lumbered with this very annoying and embarassing problem.

Thread Information