Thread: Waking up at night and can't breathe?

Waking up at night and can't breathe?

Last night when I went to bed, I was extremely stressed (just the whole day in general) but also very tired. For almost 2 hours I was in this constant state of ALMOST being asleep but as soon as I felt I was going to drift off, my heart would start pounding like crazy and I would have to gasp for breath. It's scary and this has never happened before until last night.

Sometimes it would happen very mildly, where I'd just take a deep breath through my nose and it would go away. But a few times it happened so intensely that I sat bolt upright (from almost being asleep), gasping for air and clutching my chest. This caused more anxiety and I was just wondering if anyone has had this before.

After I finally got to sleep it went away, I'll be curious to see if it happens again tonight, but could this be caused by my anxiety? I don't think this is sleep apnea, because it would only happen for the first breath, and immediately after I could breath just fine, and position didn't seem to change anything. I don't have any tonsil or throat problems, and don't snore. Help would be appreciated

Re: Waking up at night and can't breathe?

I wake up screaming sometimes. This happens to me often. I'm assuming its anxiety. That in between sleep and awake state, where you're having mini dreams, but you're also still aware of being up is the WORST. There was a period where I actually had anxiety about sleeping, and wouldn't fall asleep until 7am. I now have a glass of red wine before bed and that helps.

I get this frequently. It's very scary.

I think this happens as you are slipping into REM sleep. Your hearts starts pumping adrenaline and causes your heart to beat faster and you to have vivid dreams and also other things happen. I forgot just what but I know that your body is preparing for the next day and it causes these things. I think we always get this but we are asleep and so we don't know it but sometimes we wake during these episodes and are acutely aware of them and it scares us. I too get them but now most of the time I try to relax and understand what is happening and usually I can go back to sleep . I too also have times when I feel I cannot sleep because I am trying to control my breathing but then I just try to relax and let go and I usually fall asleep . Hope you feel better soon.

Thread Information