Thread: Panic Attacks caused by School

Panic Attacks caused by School

Hello everyone, My name is Mackensie I'm 22 years old and have suffered from emetophobia ever since i was in 2nd grade and it stemmed into other underlying problems of anxiety. I was afraid to leave my home in fear of getting sick, i used to think going to school would make me sick, so i eventually switched over to online schooling and eventually came over my emetophobia and my anxiety problems and everything seemed alright in the world!

I am now living abroad in Germany with my boyfriend, this was a huge step for me to take, however in order for me to stay here i NEED to know the language and take a language course in order to prolong my stay.

My anxiety has been extremely bad lately with this course, just thinking about it makes my anxiety flare up... i haven't actually been to a real class in YEARS and it's bringing back a lot of really bad memories..., I have already attended the class once and it's a very small class but there is a lot of interaction going on between students and the teacher and i think i might have a bit of social anxiety going on, i get very hazy, my heart feels like its going to beat out of my chest and i am constantly thinking i am doing something weird or i might just go insane and do something out of my control! constantly thinking that someone is thinking poorly of me and it drags me down and i lose every little bit of confidence i have.

I would really love some advice in what i could do to possible calm myself down about this course and show myself that it isnt anything to worry about, I have already missed three classes because of my anxiety and I'm tired of missing class, it just makes it worse and worse everytime i miss a class, I'm going to bring it up to my teacher to see if my boyfriend can maybe sit in the class with me, he's german so i don't think he will be needing to learn too much from it
    Last edited by Mackensie; 06-04-16 at 16:18.

Re: Panic Attacks caused by School

Hi,

I know how horrible panic and anxiety is around school/classroom type scenarios. It's almost worse in a small class because you can't hide in the background, but, although I am not the best in these situations still I have a few ways I deal with it, perhaps not enjoyably, but I manage to remain in classes a lot more than I did.

1. Before the next class talk to the teacher, and explain that you suffer with anxiety and panic, and that you may need to get up and leave at some point and breathe for 5. This may not even happen throughout the class, but knowing you have an escape route if need be, helps me.

2. Do some of your own learning, reading prior to the lesson to help you feel less overwhelmed with what you are covering in the lesson.

3. Sit nearer to the back, or closer to the exit, as it may make you feel less trapped.

4. Attempt to make relationships with the people (atleast one) at the end of the class, as it may make you feel more comfortable in the situation.

5. Bring a water bottle to keep yourself hydrated, this really helps me with my panic.

6. Bring small comforts, as simple as a ring, or a bracelet to make you feel safe.

I hope these help a little bit. I would avoid bringing your boyfriend as a comforter, at least for a little bit. However, if it becomes to much this could be an idea but I would leave it as the last option.

Remember to breathe, and that you will not be in this situation forever. Hopefully, after a few weeks you will even begin to enjoy it!!!

Thread Information