Thread: Can researching sleep paralysis give you it, now scared to sleep:(

Can researching sleep paralysis give you it, now scared to sleep:(

Hey, yesterday my friend told me that he had sleep paralysis a few nights back he told me what happened etc and it terrified me. So stupid me goes back home and looks it up and now im terrified that im going to experience it and can't sleep :(. I'm 21 and I don't think ive ever had what he described there's only one thing I can think of i woke up and saw a spider in my room then it dissapeared after I shot up.

Can researching the topic actually induce it or am I worrying for no reason.

Cheers, jack

Re: Can researching sleep paralysis give you it, now scared to sleep:(

The mind is an incredible organ and yes, if you focus enough on a symptom, you can feel the effects even though they don't exist.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Re: Can researching sleep paralysis give you it, now scared to sleep:(

Sleep paralysis is a known sleep phenomena and can happen to anyone. There quite a few phenomena we can experience in the normal stages of Hypnagogia and Hypnopompia. If you've ever jerked awake when falling asleep, that's one of them.

Anxiety can make sleep phenomena more common but that's about all. It's possible the mind can do it, there are many possibilities in physical manifestations that go beyond this.

That doesn't mean it will though, so try to accept the possibility, accept it has shocked you and move on from it because it may never happen in your lifetime.

Thread Information