Thread: Looking for drug side effects

Looking for drug side effects

Does anyone know why the side effects listed on drugs.com and rxlist.com differ?

I have been looking up side effects for Prozac. I've heard that it can cause tinnitus (listed as "common" in drugs.com) but this is not a side effect that even features on rxlist.com.

I have a psychiatrist friend who says he's never even heard of the side effect but drugs.com says between 1-10% of people report ringing in the ears as a side effect.

Which website do I trust???

I know that drugs companies suggest that people even report side effects from placebos. I just need to know how accurate these side effects lists are....

Panic

Re: Looking for drug side effects

I think one website would be be more thorough and cover even the anecdotal rather than thoroughly researched and proven side effects.
    Side effects vary so much from person to person but the main ones to go by would be the ones provided in the packet of the Prozac. You can read the prozac leaflet online.

Re: Looking for drug side effects

Accurate. If you look at their About pages it tells you where they take their data from.

Drugs.com has a greater number of sources than Rxlist. That may be why they show more reported side effects.

If you were talking about some unknown blog or non medical site, I would go with the real medical ones instead but both of these are reviewed by medical professionals so are trustworthy.

Drugs.com also have a lot more professional information on with their Pro tab than I can see on Rxlist.

From memory, in the US there are protocols for reporting side effects to the FDA (as there are in the UK to the MHRA) and then it goes back to the manufacturer. They won't add just anything, they will check it out first but that doesn't mean it is a trial researched side effect. By law they have to state them in the boxes but these sites are potentially more geared to medical professionals too and more is available on them that has not been seen as needed in the box.

Your psychiatrist friend could look at the sources and review methods both websites state they use/apply and gain confidence in them. Both share some common databases.

Thread Information