Thread: Long term advice. Tapering, reinstating

Long term advice. Tapering, reinstating

Hi all

I have been on sertraline 4 years at 150mg with support of gp I thought would give a go at dropping but I have done it over a longer time than he suggested.

I went 150 too 100 last November, then 100 to 50 last month. The last week the anxiety and rumination is back. I have increased back to 100 this week but still suffering.

Anyone had experience of this and how long takes to kick in again.
    Annoyed I tried now.

Re: Long term advice. Tapering, reinstating

Anyone?

I had a year off the stuff. Now seven weeks back in an not finding it helpful

The med alone will take a certain amount of time to become stabilised in your blood plasma at the new level, known as steady-state. If you were starting Sert, this is just under 7 days so I would go by that as a guide to getting the dose properly reinstated.

It may take a bit longer to get you back to where you were though. Bare in mind these meds work in a short & long term capacity. Short term the effect is more Serotonin and this is quickly achieved. Long term they down regulate those receptors so less is getting lost on top of the short term increase effect. This longer term effect can be approx. a month in some SSRI's I've seen in research (I can't remember which it was, definitely not Fluoxetine though as that takes longer than a month) so perhaps the question is how much of the down regulation had been reversed when you reduced the dose to 50mg?

Thank you so much for your reply. It's been 6 days back to 100 now. I don't think I will try again for a long time once I have stabalised again.

Thread Information