Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Skipped beats like on/off switch

Skipped beats like on/off switch

Does anyone experience their ectopic beats as suddenly starting out of nowhere and all of sudden just stopping, like a switch flipped off? Is anxiety/ adrenaline lurking in background unconsciously causing this when a person feels themselves to be relaxed?
    Also can this be playing out as a symptom of post traumatic stress or grief?
    Thank you for any feedback.

Re: Skipped beats like on/off switch

Yep mine do that sometimes, no rhyme or reasons for it, apart from maybe the anxiety thing, if they give you that little fright when it happens, well that's the adrenalin kicking in each time it happens, and its just a vicious circle if you keep letting them scare you, I am trying really hard to accept them and let them run there course, I have noticed as of late they are becoming less frequent but I do still get the days when they are bad due to my anxiety being high, that's my train of thought anyways

Thanks Brian, does it also feel to you like a jolt, not just a thud? It's a scary feeling, always hard to convince oneself its not serious. I did see doctor today
    And not concerned. It still never really reassures me! Like you said, gets adrenaline going and on it goes. Do you know does it take sometime for the
    Adrenaline to get out of your system?

skipped beats are rarely ever dangerous. they are basically harmless!

---------- Post added at 22:33 ---------- Previous post was at 22:32 ----------

they are also caused by indigestion or irritated stomach. i get them when i have a bloated, gassy stomach.

Does it matter how many or how often, like several an hour.?

at the start I was getting way more than several an hour, but as my anxiety levels have started to fade, they are not as bad as they were, and I try my hardest not to let them scare me, I did have a few over a couple of hours today at work, I tried the holding your nose manoeuvre which seemed to work to a degree, funny enough, during this episode I got really bad acid reflux, I took an omeprazole, they seemed to fade away after this, my advice, accept they are not going to harm you, try and not be frightened of them, its took me 3 weeks to accept they wont kill me or harm me, but I still get the odd moments where they do, so keep trying and watch you diet.

Thx Brian, why is it so hard to accept?!! I guess it is anxiety but how does it come in such lightning fast speed, especially when one doesn’t feel particularly anxious. Do you think it is something that could become an unconscious habit like breath holding or something? Then just becomes automatic?

Mine is usually caused by gas on the heart of sudden fast beating heart and they can linger for hours are stop suddenly. I have them sometimes every two beats but they have been doing that for years off and on but the doctors say they still see a heartbeat and there is no skip. Its very scary and although I have been told not dangerous still scares me after all these years

I'm not saying anxiety causes them, like you say they can be so random when you seem so calm, I'm actually getting them right now as I type off and on, and I feel quite calm, rewind 3 weeks and I was panicking like hell with them, they just wouldn't stop then, now they come and go, strangely mine seem to come on in the afternoon around mid day then fade away around 5, which might back up the theory about stomach related issues, I just don't know the answer, I wish I did

I have exactly the same. I'm trying so hard to tell myself that there's nothing wrong and they won't harm you, but it's so hard when everytime you move your heart feels like it skips a beat. I often wonder how it can be normal .... I feel it in my chest and throat most days. I check my pulse and I can feel the pause.
    Everyone reakons its normal so just keep on telling ourselves just tha.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information