Thread: cymbalta not sure what to do

cymbalta not sure what to do

hi i fell down stairs 5 months ago and hurt coccyx and after lots of treatment i still have problems with strange burning sensations across my bum!!!!!!!!

I had a large major anxiety session before falling and now i am a total wreck my elbows and knees really hurt - a symptom i get when i am really anxious or at the moment depressed too.

My doctor has suggested cymbalta because my anxiety/dep comes out in physical problems

anyone experienced this or have taken this medicine. looked on web some miracles some not. hubby against it but i am really low

thank u 2 all who reply

x

Re: cymbalta not sure what to do

Hi there

I had a quick search and they are 25 other posts about it so maybe read through some of them see if it helps.

I personally don't know much about it I am afraid.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

No I know nothing either however it seems very interesting and I am just the same as my anxiety definately comes out in physical symptoms too.

Piglet

Hi Raphael,

I've was put on Cymbalta (also know as duloxetine) back in June. It's an SSNRI, so as well as working on seratonin, it also boosts levels of something called norepinephrine. It's a relatively new anti-depressant, also licensed for anxiety. It can also be used to treat diabetic nerve pain, so I guess it might help you feel better physically after your fall. For me, it's been a complete god send, turning my life around completely. However, I have spoken to two other members on here who've had less success. I take 60mg a day- you can take 120mg, but it's not be shown to be any more effective. I take it you have already looked on the manufacturer's site, cymbalta.com, but another good site is askapatient.com, which gives honest reviews from people who've actually taken the meds. Only side effect I experienced was terrible tummy pain initially, but then I realised I was taking it first thing in the morning. Once I started taking it with my breakfast, it disappeared altogether.
    Hope it helps you-feel free to contact me if you want to ask any questions,
    Sarah

Smile Re: cymbalta not sure what to do

Cheer up Cymbalta will help I am certain.
    I was given samples my psychaitrist wanted me to try for my anxiety and depression. I must admit I did not actually admit I had depression or even anxiety until I analyse how I am majorly blocked at moving forward in my life personally, careerwise etc. It is a subcounsious fear anxiety that has me often parallized from making life decisions. Anyway. I had to study the cymbalta web site after google took me to many informative sites on the topic. On Cymbaltas site it shows how the meds. work in your system for pain and depression with a cool animation of a human skeletal. Showing the path ways the meds take and assist in relief for two things: the physical pain and the emotional sadness associated with depression.

I posted recently today on Cymbalta since I find it already into my second week uplifting my mood brighter. I don't feel medicated either. Thank God. A very nice person also from this site posted to Cymbalta on my entry. She has been on it for almost a year now and has success. She mentions how in the UK it seems to be not as well known.

It is a new med. so the price is high here in the States. Commercials are running in high rotation around here. Not like I watch a lot of tv or anything but I like Ghost Wisperer.

Sorry about your fall.
    -Suzie

Hi Suzie,

Thanks for your post on the other thread! Over here in the UK we pay a standard price (£6.80 now-I think!!) per prescription regardless of how much the drug costs to produce. As I take other meds, I've got a pre-payment card which saves me a bit of money over the course of the year. Am I right in thinking the price varies according to the medication over in the US? My doctor told me Cymbalta's pretty expensive to produce-probably why they don't like giving it on the NHS! How long have you been taking it?

As I see from the above post, you've been looking at cymbalta.com. Obviously, as it's the manufacturer's site there's bound to be some element of bias. I'd also recommend askapatient.com where you can search for reviews of different meds from genuine patients.

Take Care,
    Sarah

Hi,

Its not very well known in the UK (as mentioned above) because its expensive and so the doctors are less inclined to prescribe it.

Generally in the UK doctors prefer SSRI's, in particular these days its pretty common to be prescribed citalopram. Which can help with anxiety disorders such as GAD or social anxiety. SNRI's are thought in some camps to be better for anxiety disorders. Effexor is the most commonly described in this class. Its generally thought that Duloxetine has the least side effects of all the SNRI/SSRI's, although a quick search here and on other forums does still throw up the usual bad experience stories.

I am about to start on Cymbalta (duloxetine) in the next few days, I had to ask specifically for it and the doctors had to ask the local head of NHS if I could be prescribed it.

I don't get on at all well with SSRI's and I had a very positive experience of an SNRI in the past which was withdrawn from the market due to fears over liver failure (Dutonin). So after hours of research I decided to give this ago and the doctors agreed.

I really hope this one agrees with me and helps with the symptom of GAD without too many side effects and for you too.

Fingers crossed and good luck.
    Last edited by NCP; 17-01-12 at 01:18.

Well done Raphael There have been some good reports about Cymbalta. All, told, keep in touch with the GP and all should go well.

Good luck , Vince

Quote Originally Posted by NCP View Post
    Hi,

Its not very well known in the UK (as mentioned above) because its expensive and so the doctors are less inclined to prescribe it.

Generally in the UK doctors prefer SSRI's, in particular these days its pretty common to be prescribed citalopram. Which can help with anxiety disorders such as GAD or social anxiety. SNRI's are thought in some camps to be better for anxiety disorders. Effexor is the most commonly described in this class. Its generally thought that Duloxetine has the least side effects of all the SNRI/SSRI's, although a quick search here and on other forums does still throw up the usual bad experience stories.

I am about to start on Cymbalta (duloxetine) in the next few days, I had to ask specifically for it and the doctors had to ask the local head of NHS if I could be prescribed it.

I don't get on at all well with SSRI's and I had a very positive experience of an SNRI in the past which was withdrawn from the market due to fears over liver failure (Dutonin). So after hours of research I decided to give this ago and the doctors agreed.

I really hope this one agrees with me and helps with the symptom of GAD without too many side effects and for you too.

Fingers crossed and good luck.

Wow thats ridiculous having ask the local head of NHS, duloxetine is only £30 ish a month. I am also on pregabalin which is £96.60 a month for the NHS. Would the prime minister have to give permission? Which NHS trust is this?

Thread Information