Thread: Math skills diminishing

Math skills diminishing

I have noticed that my math skills have taken a big hit ever since i've had anxiety and especially the last couple of months ( I've been a hypochondriac since late in 2013 ) I'm talking about simple math I get wrong but then I quickly correct my self just a couple of seconds later.. It's quite scary, has anyone else found that their math skills have taken hit with chronic stress?

Re: Math skills diminishing

your mind is overly occupied on yourself, which sometimes makes other thoughts slower.

Yes, I've had this too.

I've always been good at maths and my work involved plenty of it. The same with my memory which was an absolute must in my role. Both suffered due to anxiety.

It's well known that cognitive ability is affected by anxiety/depression. The neurotransmitters involved in this are the ones that seem to be most in play for us.

My maths is bad enough even without anxiety, lol, but it is even worse when I am anxious. This is a very common thing with anxiety.

Our minds are too distracted and messed up, which impacts our ability to problem solve and think straight.....nothing to worry about, just another side effect of anxiety, sadly.

Like Terry, my memory suffers too. I also walk into rooms and cannot remember what I was going in there to do/for....just basic stuff is all affected by anxiety.

One word: "Calculator"

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Anxiety definitely affects problem solving skills, etc. I'm in the computer science field and spend quite a bit time on math for hobby as well. Right now, I'm soon about to graduate so there's even more math in the course I'm taking right now. However, I think it's more that anxiety affects the concentration ability and make you more tired. Also, if you stop doing math activities for a period (which might happen when anxiety takes over) it's only natural for skills to be a little rusty. The brain rewires a lot and adapts to what you're doing.

Although, maybe you were talking about stuff like 7 * 9? But again, it's principially the same. I wouldn't worry about it.

Thread Information