Thread: Feels like muscle ache right side of throat, on outside of it!

Talking Feels like muscle ache right side of throat, on outside of it!

Feel a pain when clearing throat or coughing on right side of throat, or when moving/tensing in certain ways. It feels, oddly, like a muscle pull of some sort. It's been there now for 3 weeks. It feels like it's on the right side of Adam's apple, maybe down lower a bit. Otherwise it is unnoticeable when not "triggering" it during regular activities.

It's not the literal clearing inside of the throat that hurts, its something "outside" of it. I once was able to press a spot on the right side and it sent a jolt of pain that also went to ear, but it is overall very difficult to find, and I can spend minutes trying to "find" it to press with no luck.

It feels like a muscle strain, when it occurs. An ache. I can trigger the pain by tensing the throat like I am going to clear it without actually making the clearing noise, or by moving chin down towards right shoulder and "tensing". Feel nothing when eating/swallowing, no traditional sore throat, no lumps, voice normal.

Of course, my main fears were/are a lurking cancer.

I went to my GP who just prescribed a nasal spray, which did nothing. Next, I went to an ENT who said he felt and saw nothing, but can never be 100% this way. He said he would refer me for a ultrasound and he expected it to come back clear. In fact, he said he calls these "therapeutic ultrasounds". Hardy har!

I found out that the ultrasound is $1,279.75 and my insurance will not cover it. That is a stretch for me. Is it worth doing this? Would it be wiser to wait a couple weeks and follow up again if it has not improved, or would it be wise to do this ASAP?

Re: Feels like muscle ache right side of throat, on outside of it!

Well, as an update, I was able to find an affordable Ultrasound and will be having it done this Friday.

The pain does not affect swallowing, there are no lumps. I do not feel pain when touching anywhere or moving around, or during normal activities.

It is only when I clear my throat and it feels like a muscle ache on the right side, but when it triggers it is very noticeable. I have had it for about a month.

Re: Feels like muscle ache right side of throat, on outside of it!

Hi,

Did you find out what it was? I am having the exact same thing..

Thread Information