Thread: 10mg - Will it actually do anything?

10mg - Will it actually do anything?

Hi guys.

My doctor started me off on 10mg Citalopram after several failed attempts on other SSRI's (basically I scared myself by reading up on side effects and then thought I had them all so always gave up after 2 or 3 days) This time I've lasted 11 days today - hurrah!!! - but I'm nervous because I have my review next Monday and I think she's going to say go up to 20 and I'm going to freak out all over again. Has anyone actually managed to control their anxiety and depression on 10mg long term?

It hasn't done much for me so far, but I don't want to jump the gun and go up to 20mg if 10mg is going to work given enough time.

Re: 10mg - Will it actually do anything?

Hi,

Take your doctors advice, I know it is scary but wouldn't you rather get better quicker, or just stick on 10mg for it to do nothing much?

Good luck, you will get through this

Rich

I'm on 10 mg and do feel less anxious however she does want to put me up to 20

I have seen reports of people saying they felt great on 10mg, but they do say therapeutic dose is 20mg+. You will have to make a decision with your doctor on what you think is best for you. If you decide to increase you can take it slower by cutting the pills by going to 12.5mg, 15mg, 17.5mg and then 20mg. You may get less side effects or you may not and you might also drag your recovery out longer. I was thinking about tapering up slowly, but then I choose to jump right from 10mg to 20mg to get the side effects over and done with, so I could recover faster.

Thanks everyone. Yes, I do want to get better as soon as possible I'm just worried about the side effects and that I won't be able to cope with them. I do wish I could get over this irrational fear because it is holding me back so much.

Thread Information